Filtering Analog Signals
Author Message
 Filtering Analog Signals

I am currently using a PXI 6025E board to read an analog signal from a
weigh station.  The items that are being weighed are in motion so the
signal contains some vibration from the item being in motion as it
crosses the scale.  I would like to be able to filter the analog
signal so that I just get the pure weight and not the noise from the
vibration.  What is the best way to filter the signal using labview?

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:20:22 GMT
 Filtering Analog Signals
One method is to use a "median filter"  this is a statistical median
of the data you have collected over a brief period of time.
Presumably, you will have a good number of cycles from the {*filter*}y
motion. Use the statistical function for median.  This will sort the
data from most to least and produce a number in the middle of the
list.

A second method is to use a low-pass filter to filter all data above
say 1hz.

A thid method is to use the DC and RMS function and take the DC output
of the function.

Try all three to see which produces the best result.

Sincerely,

Preston Johnson

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:57:23 GMT
 Filtering Analog Signals
Another method is the store a number of results and calculate the
average of these points.
Do sample fast to get more data and you will get a better result.

The method with the best results depends on the noise expected, on its
spectrum and amplitude distribution.
Median is fine if you have a lot of  good data and a few wrong ones far
away from the 'real' result..
AVG and Lowpass is fine for symetrical noise.
DC / AC is fine in the same case, but the parameters cannot be chosen by
yourself.

Good Luck
Urs B?gli

preston johnson schrieb:

Quote:
>One method is to use a "median filter"  this is a statistical median
>of the data you have collected over a brief period of time.
>Presumably, you will have a good number of cycles from the {*filter*}y
>motion. Use the statistical function for median.  This will sort the
>data from most to least and produce a number in the middle of the
>list.

>A second method is to use a low-pass filter to filter all data above
>say 1hz.

>A thid method is to use the DC and RMS function and take the DC output
>of the function.

>Try all three to see which produces the best result.

>Sincerely,

>Preston Johnson

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:45:21 GMT

1. How to display trigger line signal along with analog input signals

2. RF IC / Analog IC Designer (Mixed Signal)

3. Decoding an analog multiplexed signal

4. Displaying analog signals

5. TTL signal to analog waveform

6. Measure the phase delay of 2 15Khz analog signals

7. Send out analog and digital signal simultaneously ?

8. TTL Signal and Analog Waveform

9. contemporary acquisition of 2 analog signals with 2 different sampling frequency

10. VI to read both analog and PWM signals

11. Analog & mixed-signal designers needed in Sunnyvale

12. RF IC / Analog IC Designer (Mixed Signal)