QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K
Author Message
 QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K

Is there *any* way, other than rewriting the programs originally
written for the NI DAQ-700 PCMCIA card and compiled in QuickBasic 4.5,
to run in a DOS box under Win2K?  I'm cognizant of the general
incompatibility of DOS drivers under Win NT and Win2K, and am looking
for a trick...  I've been thinking of installing a small Win95
partition on my 20GB HD and booting from there to run the DAQ-700
using old DOS/QB programs.  Is this feasible?

Sorry for posting this problem in a labview NG, but the NI guys said,
"support for DOS no more" and I don't know where else to turn for help
to keep my old programs running on a new laptop...

Thanks,

zentropic

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:26:32 GMT
 QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K
You might consider creating a DOS boot floppy disk. If you already have W2K
setup on your laptop, it can be a bit tricky then installing W95. The other
way around is no problem.

If you do decide to go with dual boot, make sure that you do use different
partitions. Things can get mixed up when you try to use a single partition,
particulary since all versions of Windows like to use the c:\program files
directory for common files like Internet Explorer.

If you currently only have a single partition, then you would need a utility
like Partition Magic to create another partition without blowing away the
current one using fdisk.

Jeff

Quote:
> Is there *any* way, other than rewriting the programs originally
> written for the NI DAQ-700 PCMCIA card and compiled in QuickBasic 4.5,
> to run in a DOS box under Win2K?  I'm cognizant of the general
> incompatibility of DOS drivers under Win NT and Win2K, and am looking
> for a trick...  I've been thinking of installing a small Win95
> partition on my 20GB HD and booting from there to run the DAQ-700
> using old DOS/QB programs.  Is this feasible?

> Sorry for posting this problem in a LabView NG, but the NI guys said,
> "support for DOS no more" and I don't know where else to turn for help
> to keep my old programs running on a new laptop...

> Thanks,

> zentropic

Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:59:14 GMT
 QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K
Jeff:

Thanks for valuable suggestions.  I like the DOS bootable diskette
idea even more than a new partition (how come it didn't occur to me?
;-)), which would in any case be created by our IT guys.  However,
being new to Win2K, I have a perhaps silly question:
could I use my DOS-bootable diskette to load the DAQ-700 drivers and
run my old QB control program from it as well?  In principle, I
wouldn't have to see the Win2K HD at all, since the program is only
250K in size, and the data files not too large either.  Besides, I
don't use it very often.

Thanks again,

entropic

Quote:

> You might consider creating a DOS boot floppy disk. If you already have W2K
> setup on your laptop, it can be a bit tricky then installing W95. The other
> way around is no problem.

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:27:48 GMT
 QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K
You would have to put the drivers in config.sys on the floppy, assuming you
have DOS drivers.

Jeff

Quote:
> Jeff:

> Thanks for valuable suggestions.  I like the DOS bootable diskette
> idea even more than a new partition (how come it didn't occur to me?
> ;-)), which would in any case be created by our IT guys.  However,
> being new to Win2K, I have a perhaps silly question:
> could I use my DOS-bootable diskette to load the DAQ-700 drivers and
> run my old QB control program from it as well?  In principle, I
> wouldn't have to see the Win2K HD at all, since the program is only
> 250K in size, and the data files not too large either.  Besides, I
> don't use it very often.

> Thanks again,

> entropic

> > You might consider creating a DOS boot floppy disk. If you already have
W2K
> > setup on your laptop, it can be a bit tricky then installing W95. The
other
> > way around is no problem.

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:41:45 GMT
 QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K
I looked at this option, but how do I deal with the
Install/Configuration program that has to be run first?  The
driver/installation program for the DAQ-700 comes on 5 or 6 1.44MB
diskettes...  I wish NI guys kept supporting what they make...

zentropic

Quote:

> You would have to put the drivers in config.sys on the floppy, assuming you
> have DOS drivers.

> Jeff

Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:56:50 GMT
 QB/DOS programs for DAQ-700 under Win2K
As long as your hard-drive is FAT32 or FAT, you can still access it after
booting from a floppy. Boot from the floppy, then run the Install program
and let it install to C:\. You can then run it from c:

Jeff

Quote:
> I looked at this option, but how do I deal with the
> Install/Configuration program that has to be run first?  The
> driver/installation program for the DAQ-700 comes on 5 or 6 1.44MB
> diskettes...  I wish NI guys kept supporting what they make...

> zentropic

Quote:
> > You would have to put the drivers in config.sys on the floppy, assuming
you
> > have DOS drivers.

> > Jeff

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 05:14:58 GMT

1. DAQ 700 - Continuous Pulse Train in LabView 6.1

2. DAQ-700 driver

3. __WAIT_4.obj and Pentium III 700

4. Eiffel/S 1.3 available on HP9000/300 and 9000/700

5. Cascade counters on DAQCard 700

6. ANNOUNCE: Common Forth v1.700 for DJGPP V2 released

7. Forth for HP 700 series.

8. using DAQCard 700 with LABView evaluation

9. ucblogo on HP Series 700

10. ucblogo on HP Series 700

11. Having trouble installing the DAQCard 700