Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
Author Message
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB

I want to transfer my hard-copy files from scope to my PC via GPIB
link. I am using TDS684B. Is there any possible way. Thanks.
Saw

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:50:30 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
Check the manual for the scope, there should be a command for
transfering a captured trace.

Mike...

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:55:26 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
There is some commands that can transfer files to the GPIB port and I
will try. But now I am worndering how I capture those files. I have no
idea. In the manual, HardCopy:Port [gpib or serial]. But I have no
idea how to save the data. But I will try and I think it is possible.
Thanks Mike
Saw Naing Aye

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:02:46 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
I think the easiest thing to do is to transfer the trace data as Mike
mentioned and forget about the hard copy stuff. The command is usually
intended to dump a picture to a printer connected to either the GPIB
or serial port and as such is not very useful if you want to do more
than just look at a picture. The actual data in real numbers is
obtained by a different command and should be there in the driver
you're using. You can save the data in a spreadsheet file or database.
If you do want hard copies of the data, then it's a simple matter to
print a labview graph that displays it.

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:20:13 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
There are a few commands for file transferring and in the programmer
manual they never mention that we can transfer files to PC. But in the
print command there is a command and we can send the file to GPIB port
but I do not know how to capture it. I use MAX and communicate with
the instrument and I can only write and cannot read. Actually I can
save the data(waveform) in a spreadsheet file but what I want is I
want the hardcopy because in the hardcopy, we can see the setting of
the scope and cursor all that (because we need to show that to the
customer). So I want to transfer the files via GPIB, there is a
command "file: transfer port GPIB" but I do not know how to save the
incoming data. I think you get what I mean. Some NI/TEK support
engineer should know. Anyway I will try again and thank for your
support. My scope model is TDS684B.
Thanks.
Saw Naing Aye.

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:12:47 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
In terms of saving the data, forget that it's coming from a particular
instrument (at this point that's an unnecessary bit of detail). There
are just so many things you can do with data that comes into LV. You
can plot it, analyze it, save it to disk, or print it out.

Save it however you, or your customer, wants to save it. There's
nothing special with this data.

Mike...

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:06:00 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
Now I have some commands to transfer files. But What I receive is a
string and I convert it to binary data and it cant open. I have no
idea. I got some data from the scope and it comes in binary format.
How do I decode to view my waveform. Thanks.
Saw

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:20:25 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
The documentation for the command that transfers the data should tell
you the format the data is in when it comes across. You might also
want to check to see if there's a command for reading the data in
ascii format, many people find that kind of data easier to use.

Mike...

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:59:26 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
I get what you mean but what I mean is that if all of the information
is already visible in your LabVIEW app, then all you have to do is
print the LabVIEW screen and save the bother of doing another transfer
of data that's already in memory. If it's a matter of making your
LabVIEW screen look exactly like the scope screen, that's certainly
possible as well if appearances matter more than the data.

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:41:49 GMT
 Transfer files from scope to PC via GPIB
Now I think my problem is I cannot capture the entire data that
transfer from the scope. I may need to do some config. in my program
but I do not know how. Because today I found out is The data I capture
from the scope is not the complete data. >>My scope have its own
floopy drive and i save my data into the scope disk drive and using
LV, I open the file into character string. From there I can compare
the two files, from floopy and from the data what i get from scope. I
compare this two char string and the string I get from the scope is
just a few line. So I think I cannot capture the whole data that
transfer from the scope. So that is my problem. Anyway thanks for your
help. I send e-mail to Tektronix to solve my problem.

Saw

Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:57:34 GMT

1. GPIB File Transfers w/LabVIEW 5.1

2. cw2003: transfer blob into dos files, transfer dos files into blob

3. Need to build basic file transfer via modem in Clipper

4. File Transfer Routine via MODEM

5. remote transfer of files via sockets

6. Text file transfer via IP...

7. PC to VM file transfer

8. VMS F77 read stream file from pc lan man transfer

9. Problem: Labview 5.1 & HP 34970A via GPIB

10. Hardcopy from Tektronix TDS 220 via GPIB

11. How to read from two instruments via GPIB?

12. Handle problem with GPIB Calls via DLL