while loops and shift registers
Author Message
 while loops and shift registers

Im using a while loop to build an array (sounds familiar? - I just
read that post), I init the array outside of the loop and use Insert
into Array to gather the data inside the loop (for a waveform). The
other post told me where to look (shift registers) but not how to use
them.

The user manual has quite a difficult description of how to work with
shift registers and im just wondering:

Which shift register do I wire the initial array to?
and
In what configuration do I wire the shift registers within the loop to
store my array and update it each iteration? (I had a few attempts
after reading the section in the manual but didnt seem to get
anywhere).

Thanks.

Thomas

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:19:00 GMT
 while loops and shift registers
Quote:

>Im using a while loop to build an array (sounds familiar? - I just
>read that post), I init the array outside of the loop and use Insert
>into Array to gather the data inside the loop (for a waveform). The
>other post told me where to look (shift registers) but not how to use
>them.

>The user manual has quite a difficult description of how to work with
>shift registers and im just wondering:

>Which shift register do I wire the initial array to?
>and
>In what configuration do I wire the shift registers within the loop to
>store my array and update it each iteration? (I had a few attempts
>after reading the section in the manual but didnt seem to get
>anywhere).

>Thanks.

>Thomas

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:40:18 GMT
 while loops and shift registers

Quote:

>Im using a while loop to build an array (sounds familiar? - I just
>read that post), I init the array outside of the loop and use Insert
>into Array to gather the data inside the loop (for a waveform). The
>other post told me where to look (shift registers) but not how to use
>them.

>The user manual has quite a difficult description of how to work with
>shift registers and im just wondering:

>Which shift register do I wire the initial array to?
>and
>In what configuration do I wire the shift registers within the loop to
>store my array and update it each iteration? (I had a few attempts
>after reading the section in the manual but didnt seem to get
>anywhere).

>Thanks.

>Thomas

There are two ways to build an array with a WHILE loop.

1. Use a WHILE loop's indexing ability to  create the array.  You do
this by wiring the data to the edge of the WHILE loop and right click
to select Enable Indexing. Right click again to create an Indicator.
The indicator created should be an array.

2. Use shift register and the build array element. The advantage of
this is that you can view the contents as it is updated. Wire the
incoming shift register to the build array element. Right click and
change the first input to Array Input. Add a second input which is a
scalar input (i.e. not an array). Wire the output of this build array
element to the outgoing shift register. Connect an empty array to the
incoming shift register.

Hope that helps. labview is such a visual language it is hard to
explain sometimes.

Linda

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:47:37 GMT

1. adding a shift register to a while loop

2. Break out of a While Loop then jump back in (to re-initialize a shift register)

3. Problem with initialization of a shift register on while loop

4. Shift register initialization and while loop

5. Urgent problem about while loop and shift register

6. Must wire shift register through event structure

7. Resetting the shift register

8. problems about shift register

9. Empty picture vs a shift register?

10. Shift Register Initialisation

11. Clearing chart buffer using shift registers

12. shift register