Background execution?, Parallel execution? in Labview
Author Message
 Background execution?, Parallel execution? in Labview

Please tell me how I can perform followings in labview.

In my labview routine, I need to run a certain vi which monitors and sets
the environment of experiment, while other routines are executed step by
step according to data from the monitoring vi.

i.e. I want to do followings;
1) When I run the my main routine, the monitoring vi runs and keep running
until the main routine finish.
2) With monitoring vi running, the other experiment sequences proceed or
wait according to the data from the monitoring vi.
3) Actually, when I run the main routine, I will give the monitoring vi some
input value for setting the environment since the monitoring vi also perform
setting the environment. And the monitoring vi gives the data about
environment every second.

My point could be:
When I run the main routine, a certain vi runs and keep running while other
series of execution steps run.

How can I perform this task?  Please help me!

From a novice of Labview.

Mon, 25 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Background execution?, Parallel execution? in Labview

Quote:

>Please tell me how I can perform followings in Labview.

>In my labview routine, I need to run a certain vi which monitors and sets
>the environment of experiment, while other routines are executed step by
>step according to data from the monitoring vi.

To call your background VI and run it in parallel, you need to first load
the VI (Preload Instrument.vi), then run it (Run Instrument.vi). This way
the calling program returns after spawning the sub-vi and continues to
execute. However, you can't pass parameters to the vi directly by this
method- what I usually do is have a copy of the front panel in a global
variable, along with a boolean in that global  that defaults to false.
When the vi is called from above, the boolean is set to true by the
calling program. The vi checks this boolean, if true it loads the front
panel with the contents of the global before doing anything, then executes
as normal. Obviously there are lots of different ways this bit can be
handled.

Communication between the vis can take place through globals in a similar
way.

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Background execution?, Parallel execution? in Labview
Have you tried using Global variables in Labview or possibly occurences.  They
have some demos in the on-line reference that show the use of occurances and
Globals.

Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Optimizing background execution

2. Background Execution

3. Python script background execution...

4. Background execution using tcl/c

5. execution of commands in the background constantly

6. Rsh and background execution PB

7. bad interaction of input redirect from named pipe with background execution

8. : Background execution stops at 'exec' (UNIX)

9. background execution problem, please help

10. asynchronous background execution

11. Procedure Execution in Background.

12. Background Execution of Programs