VISA Compatibility
Author Message
 VISA Compatibility

Hello All,

Pardon the breech of netiquette, but I have cut'n'pasted a response to a
similar question on natinst.public.gpib.general:

Subject:  Re: labview and HPIB
Date       Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:23:57 -0500

Newsgroups: natinst.public.gpib.general

Donald/Rab, Mike, et al:

It is true that you can have only one VISA on a system.  However, with
NI-VISA 2.5, you can use NI-VISA to access Agilent/HP controllers (such as
HPIB) as well as NI controllers (such as PCI-GPIB).

If all you have is the HP card, your 2 choices are:
1) Uninstall NI-VISA, and install Agilent/HP VISA.  Use the VISA icons in
LabVIEW and it will work.
2) Install Agilent/HP SICL but not their VISA.  Install NI-VISA 2.5
(currently in beta) and see the readme.txt.

Good luck with LabVIEW and your GPIB system!  If you choose option #2, let
me know if you have any problems.

Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, VISA
National Instruments

Quote:

> > Hi there,
> > I would like to know about VISA compatibility when using National
> > Instruments NI-488.2 GPIB cards and HP's HP-IB cards.
> >..... are they the same? Or any difference or incompatibility
> among
> > them?

> > thanks,
> > ManiK

> Hello Manik,

> I work with National Instruments in helping people with their
> instrumentation needs. I did a search on our technical support webpage
> www.natinst.com/support/ and found the answer to your question.

> The hardware manufacturer of the controller installed in the computer
> must match the VISA provider (e.g. NI-VISA can only be used with NI
> hardware). So, you must use NI-VISA with an AT-GPIB board and HP-VISA
> with an HP-IB controller.

> However, the VISA Spec 1.1allows for interoperability at the GPIB-VXI
> level, such that HP's 1406 could be used with the AT-GPIB, or NI's
> GPIB-VXI/C could be used with HP's HPIB card. The DLLs are attached that
> need to be installed if using the HPE-1406 or Command Module. One for
> Win16, one for Win32. Put these in the \VXIpnp\win\bin and
> \VXIpnp\win95\bin or \VXIpnp\winnt\bin directories, respectively.

> If running Win3.1, don't forget to go into VISAconf and tell it where to
> find HP's GPIB-VXI if it is at any primary address other than 1 (HP's
> default is 9).

> If running Win95/98/NT, don't forget to go into T&M Explorer and tell it
> where to find HP's GPIB-VXI if it is at any primary address other than 1
> (HP's default is 9).

> By the way, there is a problem with NI-VISA 1.2 loading the HP GPIB-VXI
> DLL that has been fixed for VISA 2.0. One workaround is to put the HP
> 1406 at primary address 1 (instead of its default of 9).

> If you have further questions, please let us know via phone or email.

> Best Regards,
> Monico Reyna
> National Instruments
> Technical/Sales Representative
> 1-800-433-3488 x30133

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Best Regards,
Mike T

Mike Tranchemontagne
Consulting Applications Engineer
TeraComm, Inc.
148 Main Street
Building A, 3rd Floor
North Andover, MA 01845
877-900-TERA (8372)
978-557-9490 (FAX)
603-598-4773 (Direct Line and Cell)

  miket.vcf
< 1K Download

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VISA Compatibility

2. How can I solve a GPIB/VISA compatibility problem?

3. How can a I solve and GPIB/VISA compatibility problem?

4. VISA Find function to VISA Resource Name

5. Open VISA sessions in LV6 VISA Ref control and LV executables

6. VISA Find Resources and Open incorrect Error if VISA not installed

7. VISA GPIB blocks the VISA RS232

8. LV5 VISA Open vs LV6 VISA Open

9. How to control DTR (FP-2000) with compatibility serial vi (not VISA)?

10. Immediate Visa/Green Card sponsorship for Smalltalk Developers

11. VISA SPONSOR for SMALLTALK developers

12. - Visa Sponsorship