How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
Author Message
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?

I have a master and slave computer with a vi running on each,
periodically these processes will need to be synchronized.  If the
processes were running as separate threads on the same PC, I
know could use the labview rendezvous technology to do this. But
because the processes are on separate PCs, it is not obvious to me how
to accomplish the sychronization. Thank you for your consideration of
my
question.

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:53:09 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
Have you tried using sockets (Communication->UDP)?  I've used them in
the past for inter-process communication between UNIX and PC programs.

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:18:36 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
Another option besides Datasocket is VI Server.  For example, you can
change variables on the remote system while polling for them to ensure
synchronization.

Bryan{*filter*}ey
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:29:39 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
Interesting point.  I haven't tried that method yet.  How fast is the
communication?  Is it based on sockets or something else?

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:14:42 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
VI Server is built on ActiveX and TCP/IP.  So the network
communication portion is based on sockets.  There is a good discussion
topic about synchronizing across a network called <a
href=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>"Data-Communication
between hosts: "Queues" v. "VI-Server""</a>

Bryan{*filter*}ey
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:01:09 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
There are (as the other posters have pointed out) a variety of way to
accomplish this task, I guess the question that's of key importance,
is how closely do the two functions need to be synchronized? Given
that there is a network involved--which is very non deterministic--the
timing I assume isn't too exacting.

Could you explain a little more about your application. It would help
us to provide more specific examples, or even code...

Mike...

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:39:53 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
You could consider a serial link (com port) , if it needs to be fast. The
PCs must be close together.

You can choose from many solutions (using filesystem, database
synchronisation, the ones mentioned by mr. Bradley and mr.{*filter*}ey, even
DDE). As mr. Porter mentioned, it all depends on the application.

Regards,

Wiebe.

Quote:
> I have a master and slave computer with a vi running on each,
> periodically these processes will need to be synchronized.  If the
> processes were running as separate threads on the same PC, I
> know could use the LabVIEW rendezvous technology to do this. But
> because the processes are on separate PCs, it is not obvious to me how
> to accomplish the sychronization. Thank you for your consideration of
> my
> question.

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:03:51 GMT
 How do I synchronize two processes on two different PC's ?
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have solved the problem using the
example "VI server and semaphores". The example demonstrates how to
use semaphores over a network, I made a similar set of VIs using the
rendezvous VIs.  Thanks again.

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:22:24 GMT

1. synchronizing two process with expect

2. Two different LabVIEW version on the same PC

3. read two sets of data from two spread sheet files to two arrays problem

4. Two 'EVENT in One Process

5. PC's with two displays

6. FTP between two networked PC's

7. Sharing two PC's

8. Using two PC's in parallel

9. Sharing clock time of two PC's.

10. Synchronize two and more FileDrops on same Window

11. How can I synchronize two serial ports?

12. synchronize zooms on two waveform graphs