Parallel port for serial commuication?
Author Message
 Parallel port for serial commuication?

Is there a way to (ab)use the built-in parallel port for communication with
an RS232 device?

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port for serial commuication?
Hallo, "Stefan,

Du meintest am 19.06.00 zum Thema Parallel port for serial commuication?:

Quote:
> Is there a way to (ab)use the built-in parallel port for
> communication with an RS232 device?

The voltage levels don't fit, and the clock rate also doesn't fit.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port for serial commuication?
couldn't you use the Serial port and just get a 25 pin to 9 pin connector?

Charley

Quote:

> Is there a way to (ab)use the built-in parallel port for communication
with
> an RS232 device?

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port for serial commuication?

Parallel and Serial ports are vastly different in signaling, protocol, etc.
Check out a company called "Black Box"
They make all kinds of, well, black boxes, that convert various ports to
various other ports.  I'm pretty sure they've got serial to parallel and
vica-versa.

Quote:

--
Best Regards,
Mike T

Mike Tranchemontagne
Consulting Applications Engineer
TeraComm, Inc.
148 Main Street
Building A, 3rd Floor
North Andover, MA 01845
877-900-TERA (8372)
978-557-9490 (FAX)
603-598-4773 (Direct Line and Cell)

  miket.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port for serial commuication?
On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:18:23 -0700, "charles adams"

Quote:

>couldn't you use the Serial port and just get a 25 pin to 9 pin connector?

I am going to assume that is a "no".  Check the following link:

http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

(All sorts of parallel port interfacing stuff).  There are a couple of
questions you have to answer first:

1.      Do you want true serial (ie. Tx, Rx, Gnd) or some form of
parallel?

2.      What mode?  EPP, SPP, etc

3.      How many data lines - are they bidirectional?

4.      How many control lines?

Of course, each of these points are differing aspects of the same
question :-)

Then, you must locate the address of the parallel port data and
control registers so you can use the labview read/write port VIs.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Mon, 09 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Parallel Port / Serial Port Programming

2. Any free library to control parallel port and serial port

3. Serial-parallel and Parallel-serial converter

4. Parallel port/NT4.0/Serial drivers

5. Question: serial/parallel port

6. RDA serial, parallel port

7. Read from serial port and others task in parallel

8. Parallel and Serial port info.

9. Communicate with Serial Or Parallel Port with ADA!

10. Driving serial (and parallel) ports directly from COBOL

11. accessing serial/parallel port from Python

12. Communicating with serial/parallel ports