Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
Author Message
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel

If I had a labview program that has an ActiveX container on the front
panel is there a way that the ActiveX control inside that container
could in fact be another VI?  It seems like it should be possible
since LabVIEW supports both the server and client side of ActiveX.

I've looked around for an example of this, but haven't found anything
close.  And in fact, most of the ActiveX examples I have found are for
old versions of LabVIEW.

Any ideas/examples?

Thanks!

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:37:30 GMT
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
Suppose I have 2 different applications, but that each application
needs to perform and display the same measurement.   Therefore I'd
like the measurement to be its own subVI that each application can
call.

Ideally, I only want the user to see one window when the operate the
applications.  I also don't want to copy all the controls and
indicators from the subVI to the applications because then when I
change something in the subVI it won't propagate.

So, one idea was to use an ActiveX container in the applications to
embed the subVI inside the front-panel of each application.  If the
subVI changes, the changes will propagate, thus true software reuse.

I'd be almost as happy to do the same thing,  but use VC++ for the
application and make activeX calls down to the subVI.

(There are others here that would rather see everything in LabVIEW,
but personally I'd rather see it all in C++ anyway!)

My biggest problem is it seems every example that I find for doing
anything with ActiveX is for version 5.1 or 5.0 and doesn't work in
6i.

I also haven't found a step-by-step process anywhere that says how to
start with a subVI and end up with a registered and ready-to-use
ActiveX control.  Does this exist?

Thanks

Brad

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:40:30 GMT
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
Brad,

I had the same idea as you and did some experimenting back when you
asked your question about wizard interfaces.  As far as I can tell it
is not possible, although I think it would be usefull if it were.
Perhaps the folks at NI are listening??

If anyone knows how to implement something like this I would like to
know too.

Brian

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:00:01 GMT
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
Brian,

I started revisiting this because I still really hate the way I had to
implement the wizard stuff, and I have some other areas where this
would be very useful (for instance I have an application that does
actual measurements and another that reports on those measurements --
I'd like the share some of the UI code for that -- embedding things on
the front-panel would really make everything much easier).

I'm more than willing at this point to have the top-level application
be VC++, use an ActiveX container to embed the subVI into my VC++
application, but I can't even find a good set of steps for how to take
a subVI and make it an ActiveX control that I can use elsewhere.
There are examples out there, but they either involve opening a
separate labview window or they just don't work becuase of version
mismatches.

I did forward the question in as a support question as well, but
haven't heard any response as yet.

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:09:06 GMT
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
This is great until you want to reuse one of the tab panels in another
program (please don't tell me cut&paste is a real reuse option).

So the question becomes, does National support ActiveX to the extent
most vendors do and actually supply an ActiveX control that I could
use to embed LabVIEW into a VC++ program (just like I can do with IE,
or RealPlayer, etc).  I have a good feeling I know the answer, but I'd
like someone at National to come out and admit it.

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:09:38 GMT
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
Hello,

From what I understand, one of my colleagues has been discussing this
issue with you, so I won't repeat everything he has already said.
Basically, LabVIEW can function as an ActiveX server in that you can
programmatically launch VIs through other programming
environments...however, LabVIEW does not currently function as an
ActiveX Control that can be placed in containers.  This functionality
will be indirectly available in future versions of LabVIEW in two
ways...within LabVIEW, you will be able to have embedded panels.
Outside of LabVIEW you will be able to have a panel browser control
that will allow you to browse through VIs in memory within an ActiveX
Container...keep in mind that both of these functionalities will not
be available until a future version of LabVIEW.

Also, in the future it would probably be best (just for the sake of
efficiency) for you to keep your questions directed either to our
e-mail support system or the Developer Exchange, but not both.

Have a wonderful day.

Darren N.

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:44:26 GMT
 Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel
Well, I got my answer from National's support team.  They only support
ActiveX as an automation server, not an activeX control.

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:44:29 GMT

1. Embedding Macromedia Flash on the front panel?

2. I want the front panel vi to be visable when using vi_server

3. Scroll front panel left and right using control

4. using multiple front panels as templates

5. Using VI Server for Front Panel Control

6. I try to open two sub vi front panel in third - main vi front panel.

7. front pannel inside another front pannel

8. programaticly (dynamicly) show front panel of a vi

9. Multiple Front Panels of a single VI.

10. Incorrect Front Panel color displayed when I turn the VI into an executable

11. Resizing front panel display in Labview 6.0

12. Programmatically resizing Front Panel does not repaint