Finding Other LabView Stand-Alone Applications On Same Computer
Author Message
 Finding Other LabView Stand-Alone Applications On Same Computer

Is it possible for a labview stand-alone executable to identify other
instances of LabView stand-alone executables on the same computer?

In our lab, we run one or more instances of the same application to
control one or more pieces of test equipment connected to the same
computer.  Each instance is unique only by it's application path (C:\test1
and C:\test2, etc).
The reason I would like to know if other instances are
running is because in some occasions, both instances would share a common
resource (DAQ card or serial port, as an example).  Once each instance
were aware of the other instances presence, I could setup a sharing
mechanims through some sort of inter-process communication (TCP/IP
ports?).
I have identified other methods (build a "server" app, which doles out
access to the shared resource), (create an "instance" file in a
pre-defined location), but these seem sort of kludgey to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

--
Andy Steinbach

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Finding Other LabView Stand-Alone Applications On Same Computer
TCP/IP is the priviledge method.
If you set the VI Servers of your apps to use a predefined range of ports,
say 3363-3373, one app can try to open TCP/IP ports in this range. If the
connection succeed, this means another app is running. Then you use the VI
Server to implement the sharing mechanism.

It can be the VI Server or any VI  that you could create that listen to a
TCP/IP port to inter-process communication.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre Drolet

Quote:
> Is it possible for a LabView stand-alone executable to identify other
> instances of LabView stand-alone executables on the same computer?

> In our lab, we run one or more instances of the same application to
> control one or more pieces of test equipment connected to the same
> computer.  Each instance is unique only by it's application path (C:\test1
> and C:\test2, etc).
> The reason I would like to know if other instances are
> running is because in some occasions, both instances would share a common
> resource (DAQ card or serial port, as an example).  Once each instance
> were aware of the other instances presence, I could setup a sharing
> mechanims through some sort of inter-process communication (TCP/IP
> ports?).
> I have identified other methods (build a "server" app, which doles out
> access to the shared resource), (create an "instance" file in a
> pre-defined location), but these seem sort of kludgey to me.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Andy

> --
> Andy Steinbach

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. To stand-alone or not to stand-alone

2. LabVIEW 6.1 Stand alone data acquisition program

3. Stand-alone executable with CGI VI's , ITK and LabVIEW 6.1

4. How Do You Create Stand Alone Applications?

5. Stand alone application with VISA

6. immediate execution of stand-alone application

7. immediate execution of stand-alone application

8. Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

9. stand alone oberon application

10. SCM stand-alone application?

11. stand alone applications

12. newbie: Using shout3d in java stand-alone-application