books/papers on implementing strict functional languages
Author Message
 books/papers on implementing strict functional languages

I have got a copy of Simon Peyton Jones book on implementing lazy
functional languages (I also know of the another book of his written
with David Lester). I am wondering how relevant such books are to
implementing a strict functional language -- on the surface there would
seem to be significant differences between strict and non-strict
semantics which make Peyton Jones books not so useful for the
implementation of strict languages. If thats the case I was wondering if
anyone could recommend some books/papers on implementing strict
functional languages. If the book/paper contains code thats even better!

Any help greatly appreciated!
thanks

graham
--
               Happiness is a warm gun

Fri, 03 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 books/papers on implementing strict functional languages

Quote:

> I have got a copy of Simon Peyton Jones book on implementing lazy
> functional languages (I also know of the another book of his written
> with David Lester). I am wondering how relevant such books are to
> implementing a strict functional language -- on the surface there would
> seem to be significant differences between strict and non-strict
> semantics which make Peyton Jones books not so useful for the
> implementation of strict languages. If thats the case I was wondering if
> anyone could recommend some books/papers on implementing strict
> functional languages. If the book/paper contains code thats even better!

> Any help greatly appreciated!
> thanks

Book:

Compiling with continuations. A.W. Appel, Cambridge Univ Press, 1992

Papers:

Continuation-Passing, Closure Passing style. A.W. Appel,
T. Jim, Proc of POPL'89 (also avail as CS-TR-183-88, Princeton Univ,
1988)

A Standard ML Compiler, A.W. Appel and D.B. MacQueen, Proc of FPLCA
(LNCS 274), pp 301-324, Springer-Verlag, 1987

All these materials relates to the implementation of Standard ML

You can also have a look at the Caml stuff
(http://pauillac.inria.fr/caml) especially at
the paper http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/publi/ZINC.ps.gz. Though it
decribes an
obsoleted version of the Caml Light compiler it is worth reading.

Hope that helps,

        Jocelyn

S-mail: LASMEA - UMR 6602 CNRS, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere
cedex
Tel: (33) 73.40.73.30 - Fax: (33) 73.40.72.62
http://wwwlasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr/Personnel/Jocelyn.Serot/Welcome.html

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Lazy and Strict Functional languages

2. Fast compilation of strict functional languages

3. Sigma, an interpreted functional programming language implemented in C++

4. Textbooks on implementing functional languages

5. Implementing Functional Languages

6. implementing functional languages with combinatory logics

7. Question in Implementing Functional Languages

8. Papers saying Ada as an overly complex language and hard to implement

9. FPCA95: second call for papers (Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture)

10. Papers on FuArchitectures for Functional Languages

11. FPCA95: second call for papers (Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture)

12. FPCA95: second call for papers (Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture)