numerical & statistical programming in functional languages
Author Message
 numerical & statistical programming in functional languages

I have been using xlisp-stat for some interactive statistical graphics,
and I've just been reading "Fast Floating-Point Processing in Common
Lisp" by Fateman, et.al
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Does anyone know of any papers or code libraries or examples of
numerical and statistical programming in other functional languages -
especially SML or Haskell ?

I have seen the example of Singular Value Decomp in Paul Hudak's
Haskell tutorial. Are there any others ?

[ If I can find some more appropriate papers, I may add a page on
 Numerical Applications to my Programming Language Critiques Page
 at < http://www.*-*-*.com/ .{*filter*}ia.edu/sdm7g/LangCrit/>, which already
 has several SML and Haskell references. ]

---|  Computer Systems Engineer          University of {*filter*}ia  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  Box 449 Health Science Center    C{*filter*}tesville,VA 22908  |---

Tue, 28 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 numerical & statistical programming in functional languages

Quote:
> Does anyone know of any papers or code libraries or examples of
> numerical and statistical programming in other functional languages -
> especially SML or Haskell ?

In my book "ML for the Working Programmer (CUP, 1991) there are a couple of
examples to demonstrate numerical programming using Standard ML.  On page 172
there is a discussion of computation on infinite series, and pages 79-81 cover
Gaussian elimination on matrices (this also relates to a previous posting on
the subject of "matrices/numerics code").

- - --
Lawrence C Paulson, University Lecturer
Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge,
Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England
Tel: +44(0)1223 334623    Fax: +44(0)1223 334678

Sat, 08 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

elvis.med.{*filter*}ia.edu> writes:
>> Does anyone know of any papers or code libraries or examples of
>> numerical and statistical programming in other functional languages -
>> especially SML or Haskell ?

A standard remark is that Gerald Sussman has programmed large-scale
number-crunching code in Scheme.  More information is probably
available through the Scheme or Lisp groups.

Sun, 09 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 numerical & statistical programming in functional languages

Quote:

> A standard remark is that Gerald Sussman has programmed large-scale
> number-crunching code in Scheme.  More information is probably
> available through the Scheme or Lisp groups.

You could look at the Sussman and Halfant paper which is, I believe,
the first paper in Lisp and Functional Programming, 1988.  Though in
this context, it might amount to preaching to the (semi-)converted.

'shriram

Sun, 09 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Statistical studies of programs written in functional languages

2. Functional programming languages & formal verification

3. numerical math with functional languages?

4. Q: Numerical codes in functional languages?

5. Numerical Algorithms in functional languages

6. Q: Numerical codes in functional languages?

7. US-TX-Houston- Scientific Statistical & Programming Positions

8. Numerical programming (was: Overloading Operators: Extension to Language)

9. OOP & Functional Languages

10. Sets & Functional Languages

11. Multimedia & functional languages

12. OOP and classes, Was: OOP & Functional Languages