Lisp is object oriented (was: Is LISP or Latin dying?)
Author Message
 Lisp is object oriented (was: Is LISP or Latin dying?)

Quote:
> It's misleading to bring up the question of how inherent OO is in Lisp -
> not only because it's unclear if the original poster meant CL or the
> Lisp "family" - but also because it is always subjective in the case of
> a system as complex and rich as Common Lisp.

This reminds of of a citation of Niklaus Wirth, creator of the Pascal
variety of languages, who is said to once have complained about OO being a
misnomer suggesting that "Subject-Oriented" would have been a better term
:-)

Benjamin

--
As an anti-spam measure I have scrambled my email address here.
Remove "nospam-" and ROT13 to obtain my email address in clear text.

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Lisp is object oriented (was: Is LISP or Latin dying?)

Quote:

> > It's misleading to bring up the question of how inherent OO is in Lisp -
> > not only because it's unclear if the original poster meant CL or the
> > Lisp "family" - but also because it is always subjective in the case of
> > a system as complex and rich as Common Lisp.

> This reminds of of a citation of Niklaus Wirth, creator of the Pascal
> variety of languages, who is said to once have complained about OO being a
> misnomer suggesting that "Subject-Oriented" would have been a better term
> :-)

This would be right for the usual "OO" languages (of the message
passing style), which treat one object specially, which would
therefore be considered the subject.

But CLOS with it's generic function based approach to object-oriented
programming really is object oriented in a sense, with the GF merging
the roles of verb and subject into one, and all objects being treated
equally.  See deja.com for a discussion on this exact issue some time
ago.  So we can conclude that CL is one of very few OO languages. ;)

Regs, Pierre.

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. Which Lisp am I running?

3. Fixed point math in asm -HELP ME I 'am dying here

4. I am new to LabVIEW and I am having the classic problem of...

5. I am using LABview 5.0 and I am having difficulty with...

6. I am using a timed while loop and am unable to get the loop...

7. I am using HP 4263ALCR meter, and I am trying to use the...

8. I am working in LabVIEW 6i and I am wanting to build a exe in Apllication Builder

9. I am inputting my guitar tunes(.wav files) and I am trying...

10. I am not ale to compile my DLL when I am linking to...

11. I am wondering what I am going to do with the following simulation error.

12. Lisp,LIsp,LISp,LISP...