Gofer + RISCOS machines
Author Message
 Gofer + RISCOS machines

I have just compiled version 2.28 of the functional language interpretter
'gofer' for the A5000 (it's easy when all the hacks are supplied!) but I
am still suffering from a problem I had with 2.23.

When a program which is reading a file aborts, the file is not closed until
the next garbage collection. Since RISCOS, quite rightly, will not allow
files to be written when they are held open by another application, I cannot
edit the file and rerun the program without either quitting gofer and starting
again (slow), causing a garbage collect (lots of 'length([1..bigNumber])') or
closing all files in the system with a '*close' (yukky, very yukky, and b*ggers
up !Virtual).

Not wanting to spend too long looking at the Gofer source myself, has anyone
written a hack to force Gofer to close all the files in its 'infile' array
when evaluation terminates? Is it safe to do so? (I suppose the latter
would be best answered by Mark Jones)

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Dave.

Mon, 12 Feb 1996 18:55:48 GMT
 Gofer + RISCOS machines

   I have just compiled version 2.28 of the functional language interpretter
   'gofer' for the A5000 (it's easy when all the hacks are supplied!) but I
   am still suffering from a problem I had with 2.23.

Then you should have the docs with it... If you look at these it
will tell you that the official porter to RISC OS is Bryan
Scattergood. It will also give you his e-mail address as

  [Bit deleted]

   Not wanting to spend too long looking at the Gofer source myself, has anyone
   written a hack to force Gofer to close all the files in its 'infile' array
   when evaluation terminates? Is it safe to do so? (I suppose the latter
   would be best answered by Mark Jones)

Um... Mail Bryan. I think Mark is in the dept here - as is Bryan, so
between the two of them an answer should be forthcoming.

   Thanks in advance for any comments,
   Dave.

Fri, 16 Feb 1996 18:28:53 GMT
[...]

     Yes, Mark Jones is the best to answer this.  Mark is now at Yale.  Is

: Thanks in advance for any comments,
: Dave.

        Until Mark answers this, I will give my best try at this.  I would
try adding a call to closeAnyInput to parseScript in input.c.  I would make
this the last thing called before the return.  I think that this will do
what you want.

Carl Fosler
Intermetrics, Inc.

Sun, 18 Feb 1996 01:01:29 GMT

1. RiscOS Forthmacs Newsletter, Nov. 1998

2. RiscOS Forthmacs Letter

3. Python on riscos

4. tcl on EP/IX (or RISCos) in bsd43 environment

5. OE Backup (move from machine to machine)

6. Stack machine to state machine

7. Lisp Based Machine Code (Simulators) [was Re: Lisp Machines]

8. SIMPEL Virtual Machine (a toy machine and assembler)

9. Connection Machine-compatible fortran for other machines?

10. Reading binary file generated from 32-bit machine using 64-bit machine

11. Lisp Based Machine Code (Simulators) [was Re: Lisp Machines]

12. Numericall Software in Gofer/Haskell/SML