Help - Euclid as a func lang
Author Message
 Help - Euclid as a func lang

I am looking for a paper called something like "Using Euclid as a
functional programming language."  It is about using the Euclid high-level
imperative language in a functional manner.  If anyone can tell me the
author/journal/date I would really appreciate it!

Jonathan Abrams - Northern Telecom Limited, Toronto Computing Facility

Sun, 04 Feb 1996 22:10:09 GMT
 Help - Euclid as a func lang

Quote:
> I am looking for a paper called something like "Using Euclid as a
> functional programming language."  It is about using the Euclid high-level
> imperative language in a functional manner.  If anyone can tell me the
> author/journal/date I would really appreciate it!

Perhaps you are referring to:

    "Real Programming in Functional Languages (Poplar and Euclid)"
    James H. Morris, Xerox PARC
    in "Functional Programming and its Applications: An Advanced Course"
       J.Darlington, P.Henderson and D.A.Turner (eds.)
       Cambridge University Press, 1982
       pp 129-176

To quote from the article:

    "Euclid was designed as a restriction of Pascal, leaving out all those
     things that made proofs difficult-- most notably gotos and hidden side
     effects.  These restrictions make Euclid easily translatable into a functional
     language-- so easily that we argue that it is a functional language disguised
     in Pascal syntax."

The rest of the article elaborates this argument.

Mon, 05 Feb 1996 00:14:20 GMT
 Help - Euclid as a func lang

Quote:

> Perhaps you are referring to:

>     "Real Programming in Functional Languages (Poplar and Euclid)"
>     James H. Morris, Xerox PARC
>     in "Functional Programming and its Applications: An Advanced Course"
>        J.Darlington, P.Henderson and D.A.Turner (eds.)
>        Cambridge University Press, 1982
>        pp 129-176

Thanks.  I will check out this reference and post my findings...

Mon, 05 Feb 1996 01:26:55 GMT

1. func & logic langs

2. Passing variables from Func to Func

3. QUESTION: Passing variables from Func to Func???

4. Help! Func 6ch (ext open/create)

5. Help! Func 6ch (ext open/create)

6. Extended Euclid Algorithm -- thanks

7. Extended Euclid algorithm

8. Euclid for Linux?

9. Euclid compiler

10. Public Domain Modula2 and/or Concurrent Euclid

11. Public Domain Modula2 and/or Concurrent Euclid

12. Euclid (or similar) implementations