Biff's-own-guide to type systems?
Author Message
 Biff's-own-guide to type systems?

Hi!

The recent thread on type systems has prompted me to
ask for a summary of references on this stuff.
I thought other people might find some useful too.

Here are a few topics I'd like to get references on:
Preferably introductions (``what is it?; why's it good?'' sort of thing)
readable by someone who's not a researcher in the area.

- Various popular type systems
        (mentioned in Stephan Kahrs' posting)

        - Hindley-Milner

        - Damas-Milner (is this basically the same as Hindley-Milner???)

        - Milner-Mycroft

- Relationships between formal languages and type theory
        (mentioned in Robin Popplestone's posting)

- Existential types and module systems
        (not mentioned by anyone, but I'd like to know more.)

- Higher-order type systems
        (ditto)

        - 2nd order lambda calculus

        - kind systems (a la Gofer kinds)

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

        Bert.

department of computer science                  university of melbourne

Sun, 07 Jul 1996 10:46:29 GMT

1. Writing one's own Operating System

2. Difference between a type system and a type constraint system

3. Difference between a type system and a type constraint system

4. tcl objc type: args uses only string of own type

5. Where's Biff?

6. Miranda's Type System

7. An Attempt to Formalise Dylan's Type System (Part 2)

8. An Attempt to Formalise Dylan's Type System (Part 1)

9. Dylan's type system

10. Dylan's type system

11. type systems and #f and '()

12. Visual Prolog's type system