A good language to start fp
Author Message
 A good language to start fp

Hi,

I like the idea of functional programming, and even had a go at it at Uni
(years ago) with HOPE.

What do you think is the best language for me to start up again, for general
purpose experimentation.  If the compiler / language instruction is a free
download, then all the better.

P.

Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 A good language to start fp

Quote:

> Hi,

> I like the idea of functional programming, and even had a go at it at Uni
> (years ago) with HOPE.

> What do you think is the best language for me to start up again, for general
> purpose experimentation.  If the compiler / language instruction is a free
> download, then all the better.

This is as indivdual as men are ;-)
If you like a bare-boned fp language maybe Scheme is a choice:
www.schemers.org

If you want the learn for your life maybe Common Lisp is a choice:
www.cons.org

Another good langauge might be Haskell : www.haskell.org

A language used in large applications if e.g Erlang I would think that
the libs and applications from Erlang are the largest available

Then there are a thousands of other FP languages.

So the question should be: What do you want to do?
just learning fp better->Scheme is one of the smallest languages
available. And if you're using DrScheme a bunch of nich stuff comes with
it. Things like good documentation, stuff that makes life easier.

Regards
Friedrich

Tue, 21 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 A good language to start fp

Quote:

> What do you think is the best language for me to start up again, for
general
> purpose experimentation.  If the compiler / language instruction is a free
> download, then all the better.

At college they taught me lisp and prolog.  I didnt like prolog much at the
time but now I think its quite cool.  It illustrates the pattern matching
nicely, has a tiny core, and whilst seeming to be mostly declarative it also
makes you aware that things arn't always as declarative as they look.

Adrian.

Wed, 22 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 A good language to start fp
I've been thinking of asking the same question, so thanks for the replies.
Where does Charity fit in with popular fp languages?
Quote:

>Hi,

>I like the idea of functional programming, and even had a go at it at Uni
>(years ago) with HOPE.

>What do you think is the best language for me to start up again, for
general
>purpose experimentation.  If the compiler / language instruction is a free
>download, then all the better.

>P.

Wed, 22 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. What language do you think is a good combination between OOP and FP

2. Good language with which to learn FP?

3. Good starting language

4. multi-language vs mono-language, 1/2 (was: Me and FP &c)

5. multi-language vs mono-language, 2/2 (was: Me and FP &c)

6. Speed of FP languages, prospects (was Re: Benchmarking Lazy Functional Languages)

7. Best FP primer book?

8. Good text book on FP ??

9. How 'bout a good reference for F.P. fundamentals

10. good code/good language

11. FP in a larger scale (Re: Comparison of functional languages)

12. Syntax differences between FP languages?