history of (typed) lambda calculus
Author Message
 history of (typed) lambda calculus

I am looking for pointers to literature about the history of the
lambda calculus especially the typed one. I've been told that there
was a paper by Kleene in the 70ies - can anybody give me a precise
reference? Im also aware that the introduction to Barendregt's article
about typed lambda calculi contains some material (and also the book
about the untyped lambda calculus, esp. all these nice pictures) Are
there other, recent publications containing stuff about history?

Thanks,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Altenkirch                     phone : (+49 89) 2178-2209
Theoretical Computer Science            fax   : (+49 89) 2178-2238

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 history of (typed) lambda calculus

Quote:

>I am looking for pointers to literature about the history of the
>lambda calculus especially the typed one. I've been told that there
>was a paper by Kleene in the 70ies - can anybody give me a precise

       ^
I don't know this one, but

Rosser, J.B., "Highlights of the History of the Lambda Calculus"
Ann Hist Computing, Vol 6 No 4 (Oct 1984), 337--349

cannot be missed in this respect. Especially where he gives the type-ological
etymology of the \lambda ! (and, but I'm not sure, the footnotes and historical
remarks in the first chapters of Curry and Feys on Combinatory Logic, might
also lead to something)

[snip]

Quote:
>Thorsten Altenkirch                 phone : (+49 89) 2178-2209

[snip]

Henk van Dorp

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 history of (typed) lambda calculus

|>I don't know this one, but
|>
|>Rosser, J.B., "Highlights of the History of the Lambda Calculus"
|>Ann Hist Computing, Vol 6 No 4 (Oct 1984), 337--349
|>
|>cannot be missed in this respect. Especially where he gives the type-ological
|>etymology of the \lambda ! (and, but I'm not sure, the footnotes and historical
|>remarks in the first chapters of Curry and Feys on Combinatory Logic, might
|>also lead to something)

This is also in the 1982 ACM Symp. on Lisp and Functional Programming,
although I don't know what the differences are, if any.
--

                                Martin K. Jones
                                University of Alabama at Birmingham

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 history of (typed) lambda calculus

Quote:

>I am looking for pointers to literature about the history of the
>lambda calculus especially the typed one. I've been told that there
>was a paper by Kleene in the 70ies - can anybody give me a precise

       ^
On second thoughts, there are papers dedicated to Prof Kleene from the late
seventies, and one of them does give some history of the lambda calculus:

Dana Scott, Lambda Calculus: Some Models, Some Philosophy
in
J. Barwise, H.J. Keisler, K. Kunen (eds), The Kleene Symposium ---
Dedicated to Professor S.C.Kleene on the occasion of his 70th birthday;
North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1980, pp 223--265

(and there are perhaps more papers in that collection worth looking over. I
don't have the book, so I'm not sure)

Hope this is another link,

Henk van Dorp

Quote:
>reference? Im also aware that the introduction to Barendregt's article
>about typed lambda calculi contains some material (and also the book
>about the untyped lambda calculus, esp. all these nice pictures) Are
>there other, recent publications containing stuff about history?

>Thanks,
>Thorsten

>--
>Thorsten Altenkirch                 phone : (+49 89) 2178-2209
>Theoretical Computer Science                fax   : (+49 89) 2178-2238
>LMU, Munich, Germany                        Oettingenstr 67, D105
>http://www.tcs.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/~alti

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 history of (typed) lambda calculus

Quote:

>I am looking for pointers to literature about the history of the
>lambda calculus especially the typed one. I've been told that there
>was a paper by Kleene in the 70ies - can anybody give me a precise

There's also Barendregt's "The impact of the lambda calculus",
which has some history in it. Available from:

        http://www.cs.kun.nl/~henk/papers.html

Samin
--

                     http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~si

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Typed lambda calculus, recursion and halting

2. Typed Lambda calculus

3. Type-free Lambda Calculus: paradoxes

4. Tagged variables in typed lambda-calculus - references?

5. Why was typed lambda calculus not used?

6. Lambda Calculus Question

7. lambda calculus implementation

8. Introduction to lambda calculus ?

9. Lambda Calculus Problem!

10. Negativism and division in lambda-calculus

11. Lambda calculus + Church numerals

12. lambda calculus: delta rules