Another naive question
Author Message
 Another naive question

    This has a little less to do with functional language questions, but
more towards its utility.    Its been claimed that functional languages
should be more inherently parallel that conventional languages due
to such features as referential transparency.   Does this imply that
functional languages treated in some sort of serial manner will compare
to parallel version of languages?  Either, say, some kind of parallel
Pascal, or perhaps languages oriented to specific machines such as
*C (or is it C*) for the Connection Machine.   Someone may have to
clarify the various ideas of parallelism for me.   E-mail responses,
or post, whichever is more convenient.

--
Charles Lin

Wed, 20 Sep 1995 20:34:24 GMT
 Another naive question

Quote:
>    This has a little less to do with functional language questions, but
>more towards its utility.    Its been claimed that functional languages
>should be more inherently parallel that conventional languages due
>to such features as referential transparency.

  This is absoultely true, don't leave home without it. However, I don't have
a reply, just an extension of the question. This morning on the bus I finished
reading Milner's Turing Award lecture and so I learnt something about CCS. Has
anyone written a semantics for a full blown functional language using CCS?
Please email me any references and I'll summarise and repost.

John

Sun, 24 Sep 1995 07:56:12 GMT

1. (Yet another) naive question

2. Naive question

3. Naive question

4. Verilog naive question

5. Naive question, help please

6. Naive question

7. Naive question(?) about component c

8. Naive question(?) about component configurations

9. Naive question about system dependencies

10. Python 2.0 naive question

11. Naive question

12. Naive Question