How's Haskell these days?
Author Message
 How's Haskell these days?

I'd like to hear about the current status of Haskell implementation and use.

I have in the past been interested in functional languages that can run
scientific (array-intensive, floating pt) programs fast on parallel hardware.
Up to about 5 years ago (when I switched to other things) I was part of
the Sisal project at Livermore (oops -- did I say a dirty word?).
Now Arvind's (and others') pH proposal to define and compile an efficient
parallel implementation of Haskell (or subset or variant)
has gotten my attention.

Could someone kindly bring me up to date on Haskell?
The last information I have is about a year old.
I know there were three implementations of Haskell,
from Glasgow, Chalmers and Yale.

Anybody willing to sum up the current implementations and their pros/cons?
Any performance numbers available, especially for scientific applications?
I'd also especially like to know how much Haskell is used in "real"
applications, and what users' experiences have been.

Before jumping into pH it would be nice to get the skinny on the
actual Haskell situation.

Kim Yates
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Wed, 21 Feb 1996 06:02:14 GMT

1. Availability of a 'AWT'-like windowing interface to Smalltalk these days

2. Day of week DATE('w')

3. Why isn't Haskell mainstream?---A newbie's view

4. Another 'real world' challenge for Haskell

5. Looking for 'Numerical receipts in Haskell'

6. Magical Mother's Day Birdfeeder

7. Happy Father's Day

8. Day of year- the day number

9. Here's a Fuction to Return Number of Week Days in a Month

10. Last day...don't miss it!

11. G'day from a long-lost Lurch

12. G'day from a long-lost Lurch