references wanted for type inference with overloading
Author Message
 references wanted for type inference with overloading

I'm attempting to design a language with type inference in the style
of Damas and Milner, but I find I wish to include an implicit
conversion.
A term   e of type integer  may either stand for itself, or it may
stand for the term  CONST e  of type expression.

I see some connection with overloading, in that I could wrap every
term in an invisible cvt function, where cvt is overloaded to
  cvt : forall 'a . 'a -> 'a
  cvt : int -> exp

I know that Standard ML compilers combine Algorithm W (for type
inference) with a fixed set of overloaded operators, and I know that
Haskell has a more disciplined mechanism to support overloading, but I
don't know any details.

Does anybody know where I can read about implementing Algorithm W in
the presence of overloading?
(I have already implemented standard Algorithm W.)

Norman Ramsey

Sun, 12 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Smalltalk type annotation or type inference engine ?

2. Strongly-Typed Languages and type inference

3. Provide an option: static typing + type inference ?

4. Type Inference Useful

5. Thesis avail: Concrete type inference: delivering OO applications

6. Hindley-Milner type inference

7. Haskell: type inference is not smart enough?

8. Is type inference a good thing?

9. what is type inference?

10. ocaml: Type inference

11. recursive types & inference