Full Abstraction for PCF
Author Message
 Full Abstraction for PCF

Dear Functional Programmers !

Does anybody know, if there is a (non-syntactic) solution to the
full-abstraction-problem for PCF know ? My last information (1994) is
no.

Does anybody know, if there is a newsgroup which talks about (formal)
semantics of programming languages.

Thank You !

Dirk

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Full Abstraction for PCF

Quote:

> Does anybody know, if there is a (non-syntactic) solution to the
> full-abstraction-problem for PCF know ? My last information (1994) is
> no.

In fact, at least two-- one by Samson Abramsky and others based on
game semantics [1], and one by Martin Hyland and Luke Ong based on
realizability toposses [2].

Quote:
> Does anybody know, if there is a newsgroup which talks about (formal)
> semantics of programming languages.

The closest I know of are the types mailing list and the category theory
mailing list.

--Christoph.

[1] S. Abramsky, R. Jagadeesan, P. Malacaria: Full Abstraction for
    PCF. Accepted for publication in Information and Computation, 1997.
    See http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/~samson

[2] J. M. E. Hyland, C.-H. L. Ong: On full abstraction for
    PCF. Accepted for publication in Information and Computation, 1997.
    See http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/people/luke.ong.html

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Full Abstraction for PCF

Quote:

> > Does anybody know, if there is a (non-syntactic) solution to the
> > full-abstraction-problem for PCF know ? My last information (1994) is
> > no.

> In fact, at least two-- one by Samson Abramsky and others based on
> game semantics [1], and one by Martin Hyland and Luke Ong based on
> realizability toposses [2].
> [1] S. Abramsky, R. Jagadeesan, P. Malacaria: Full Abstraction for
>     PCF. Accepted for publication in Information and Computation, 1997.
>     See http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/~samson

> [2] J. M. E. Hyland, C.-H. L. Ong: On full abstraction for
>     PCF. Accepted for publication in Information and Computation, 1997.
>     See http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/people/luke.ong.html

Reference [2] is also a game semantics based solution, not really a
realizability model. A third games based model was developed by Hanno
Nickau:

Hanno Nickau, Hereditarily Sequential Functionals, in Proc. of
Symposium on Logical Foundations of Computer Science: Logic at St
Petersburg, Springer LNCS, 1994.

There is another construction of a fully abstract model, based on
logical relations, due to O'Hearn and Riecke:

P. W. O'Hearn and J. G. Riecke, Kripke Logical Relations and PCF,
Information and Computation, 120(1):107-116, 1995.

Cheers,

Guy.

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Full Abstraction for PCF

Quote:
>> Does anybody know, if there is a newsgroup which talks about (formal)
>> semantics of programming languages.

>The closest I know of are the types mailing list and the category
theory
>mailing list.

>--Christoph.

Could you provide the adresses of the mailing lists mentioned above?
Would be great.

Thanks
    Martin

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Full Abstraction for PCF
On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 16:47 Uhr, Martin Okrslar

Quote:

>Could you provide the adresses of the mailing lists mentioned above?
>Would be great.

>Thanks
>    Martin

http://www.mta.ca/~cat-dist/
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/types/archives/current/index.html

Hth,

        Gabor

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. PCF font file format anyone?

2. snf to pcf conversion

3. Compile, NCAL Link and Full Link v Compile and Full Link

4. Subroutine, lambda abstraction, tacit form

5. ST stack abstraction: objects/boxing etc.

6. Data Abstraction

7. abstraction and encapsulation (Re: Will Java kill C++?)

8. Leaky Abstractions: what we knew

9. Re-writing abstractions, or Lambda: the ultimate pattern macro

10. Is abstraction needed for application?

11. Lambda abstractions in C++ vs. Scheme

12. Abstraction in SML