REq: Lazy functional programming on stock hardware
Author Message
 REq: Lazy functional programming on stock hardware

Could anyone recommend (and give bibliographic references) for
articles / reports on generating machine code for stock hardware
to run lazy functional programs.  I'm interested especially in
translations of G-code to eficient machine code.

Thanks.

  -- Allyn

Sat, 13 Sep 1997 02:26:13 GMT
 REq: Lazy functional programming on stock hardware

Quote:

>Could anyone recommend (and give bibliographic references) for
>articles / reports on generating machine code for stock hardware
>to run lazy functional programs.  I'm interested especially in
>translations of G-code to eficient machine code.
>Thanks.
>  -- Allyn

Try
"Implementing lazy functional languages on stock hardware: the Spineless
Tagless G-machine" by S. L. Peyton Jones in Journal of Functional
Programming 2(2): 127-202, April 1992.

Abstract

The Spineless Tagless G-machine is an abstract machine designed to
support non-strict higher-order functional languages. This presentation
of the machine falls into three parts. Firstly, we give a general
discussion of the design issues involved in implementing non-strict
functional languages. Next, we present the STG language, an austere but
recognizably functional language, which as well as a denotational meaning
has a well-defined operational semantics. The STG language is the
'abstract machine code' for the Spineless Tagless G-machine. Lastly, we
discuss the mapping of the STG language onto stock hardware. The success
of an abstract machine model depends largely on how efficient this
mapping can be made, though this topic is often relegated to a short
section. Instead, we give a detailed discussion of the design issues and
the choices we have made. Our principal target is the C language,
treating the C compiler as a portable assembler.

Mon, 15 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Lazy functional programming on stock hardware

2. Lisp: program=data (Was: A functional/imperative lazy curious guy )

3. Lazy functional/logic programming

4. flaw in lazy functional logic programming?

5. Time complexity of lazy programs. profiling functional languages

6. Functional Programming Languages with Lazy Evaluation

7. flaw in lazy functional logic programming?

8. Lazy functional/logic programming

9. Req for info on Master Degree with Functional Programming in UK

10. multiplatform GUI design with parallelized lazy functional language