Guide to Type Heirarchies? (was: Why is ANYTHING derived from Eq?)
Author Message
 Guide to Type Heirarchies? (was: Why is ANYTHING derived from Eq?)

Quote:
> Mark Reid points out that the order relation needs not be
> the slave of the equality relation.
> The discussion of (==) will never end, I think. The Eq stuff
> in Haskell is visibly harmful.

Are there any language-independent discussions of how to lay out a type
heirarchy for commonly used types (ie is Real a subtype of Int or is Int a
subtype of Real and all related situations)?

Thanks

  - aj

---
"Nobody has any 'Rights'. We are entitled only to Liberties"

Thu, 26 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Haskell: Why is Ord derived from Eq?

2. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

3. Derived types with derived types with allocatables

4. Derived-type subcomponents of derived type

5. Why am I getting bind errors?

6. ERROR 48 - Why am I getting it?

7. why am i getting processor stack fault error?

8. Why I am not enthusiatic about OO COBOL

9. Why I am (core) dumping C++ for OOCOBOL

10. Why am I getting a NaN?

11. Why am I creating named fonts if....

12. Anybody know why I am timing out