concise introduction to scheme?
Author Message
 concise introduction to scheme?

Quote:

> Oh I almost forgot - and a quite few teaches some JavaScript as
> a secondary language.

This isn't as bad as one might think on first sight - it's a
prototype-based language, so it helps widen the horizont a little. (Of
course, it depends on whether the teacher actually outlines the
differences between prototype-based and object-oriented...)

Regards,
Jo

Sun, 01 Jan 2006 08:47:50 GMT
 concise introduction to scheme?

Quote:
> Jens Axel S?gaard wrote [on Jan 16, 2003]:
> > Oh I almost forgot - and a quite few teaches some JavaScript as
> > a secondary language.

> This isn't as bad as one might think on first sight - it's a
> prototype-based language, so it helps widen the horizont a little.
> (Of course, it depends on whether the teacher actually outlines
> the differences between prototype-based and object-oriented...)

It's a lot better than some might think, since Javascript supports
higher-order functions and proper lexical closures.  If one chose to, one
could teach a subset of Javascript, with some supporting functions, that
would mainly differ from basic Scheme in its syntax.

Douglas Crockford's page "The Little Javascripter" demonstrates this,
providing support for working through "The Little Schemer" using Javascript:
http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

For anyone who doubts Javascript's functional credibility, the page also
includes an applicative order Y combinator in Javascript.  Isn't it
comforting to know that if all else failed, you could test lambda calculus
theorems using your web browser's built in language??

Anton

Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:07:48 GMT
 concise introduction to scheme?

Quote:
> For anyone who doubts Javascript's functional credibility, the page also
> includes an applicative order Y combinator in Javascript.  Isn't it
> comforting to know that if all else failed, you could test lambda calculus
> theorems using your web browser's built in language??

Yeah, but can it *prove* them? :)

I think someone posted his dream of writing a theorem prover in
Javascript a while ago... :) :)

Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:22:55 GMT

1. concise introduction to scheme?

2. Scheme introduction article

3. Concise C++ guide on the Internet

4. Concise SRFI34 problem

5. How to: Concise architec desc of repeated gates

6. concise code!

7. Concise vs COBOL - followup

8. concise book on f77 sought

9. Concise syntax description