Seeking info on Rachel Harrison's ADT/SML text
Author Message
 Seeking info on Rachel Harrison's ADT/SML text

I'm looking for information regarding a textbook by Rachel Harrison
called (roughly) "Abstract Data Types Using Standard ML". I'll be
teaching a data structures and algorithms course using SML as a vehicle
at Oberlin College this Fall and expect this might make the perfect
text. Unfortunately, our publisher's rep. hasn't been able to get a
copy of the book to us yet, as it is published by their British
division.

If anyone has any experience using the book as a text (in any context),
I'd appreciate hearing their opinion on it. And if Ms. Harrison herself
gets this message, I'd be interested in obtaining an ASCII version of,
say, the contents listing from the book. Thanks in advance.

  --  Fritz Ruehr

Mon, 30 Dec 1996 01:19:11 GMT
 Seeking info on Rachel Harrison's ADT/SML text

Quote:
>I'm looking for information regarding a textbook by Rachel Harrison
>called (roughly) "Abstract Data Types Using Standard ML". I'll be
>teaching a data structures and algorithms course using SML as a vehicle
>at Oberlin College this Fall and expect this might make the perfect
>text. Unfortunately, our publisher's rep. hasn't been able to get a
>copy of the book to us yet, as it is published by their British
>division.

I'm sorry that you had problems obtaining copies; I'll see if there's anything
that can be done about it. The full title is "Abstract Data Types
in Standard ML", John Wiley & Sons, ISBN  0 471 938440, 1993.

Quote:
>If anyone has any experience using the book as a text (in any context),
>I'd appreciate hearing their opinion on it. And if Ms. Harrison herself
>gets this message, I'd be interested in obtaining an ASCII version of,
>say, the contents listing from the book. Thanks in advance.

>  --  Fritz Ruehr

The contents are listed below:
--------------------------------
Contents
Preface

Chapter 1       Introduction

                What is abstraction ?
                Data abstraction
                Advantages of abstract data types
                Specification
                Functional languages
                Type systems
                Reduction to normal form
                Asymptotic analysis
                Summary

Chapter 2       Lists

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Lists in SML
                Higher order functions
                Sorting
                An examples of software reuse
                Summary

Chapter 3       Stacks

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                Implementation
                Summary

Chapter 4       Queues

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                Implementation
                Priority queues
                Definiction
                Applications
                Implementation
                Dequeues
                Summary

Chapter 5       Binary Trees

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                Tree traversal
                Higher order functions.
                Implementation
                Summary

Chapter 6       Ordered Binary Trees

                Introduction
                Definition
                Algebraic specification
                Implementation
                Reusing ADTs to construct ADTs
                Reusing ADTs to construct applications
                Balanced search trees
                Summary

Chapter 7       2-3 Trees

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                2-3 search trees
                Definition
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                Implementation
                Summary

Chapter 8       Sets

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                Implementation
                Multisets
                Summary

Chapter 9       Graphs

                Introduction
                Definition
                Representation and notation
                Algebraic specification
                Applications
                Implementation
                Summary

Appendix 1      A library of Standard ML functions
Appendix 2      How to obtain SML

Bibliography

----------------------------------

 Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science, 3015 Mountbatten Building,
 University of Southampton, Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
 Tel: +44 703 593249  Messages: +44 703 593649 Fax: +44 703 593045

Mon, 30 Dec 1996 15:57:21 GMT

1. Instantiating a generic ADT from another ADT

2. Seeking info on Penguin, Perl's answer to Java

3. Seeking info on Penguin, Perl's answer to Java

4. Advice sought on timing NJ-SML programs

5. sml info

6. safe ADT's

7. ADT's

8. ADT's

9. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

10. ADT's for virtual memory.

11. Protected types made of ADT's, and Passive Iterators

12. REQUEST: Ada ADT's source