public relase of HiPE native-code Erlang compiler
Author Message
 public relase of HiPE native-code Erlang compiler

                PUBLIC RELEASE OF HiPE

We, the HiPE group at Uppsala University, Sweden are proud to
announce the first public release of:

        Open Source High-Performance Erlang (HiPE) System

                        Version 0.92

What is HiPE ?
==============

HiPE is a SPARC-V9 native-code compiler for the Erlang programming
language, currently based on Open Source Erlang V47.4.1.  HiPE is
a complete implementation of the Erlang language, offers flexible
integration between emulated and native code, and efficiently supports
features crucial for Erlang's application domain, such as concurrency.
The distribution of HiPE includes the Open Telecom Platform (OTP)
libraries (except "orber" and "mnesia_session").

Who should be interested in HiPE ?
==================================

Developers who are already using Open Source Erlang on a SPARC
architecture.  Depending on the characteristics of the application,
our measurements indicate performance improvements ranging from 30%
(for really big applications) up to an order of magnitude in small
benchmarks.

What is needed to install HiPE ?
================================

 - A SPARC-V9 based machine running Solaris 2.x
 - GNU `make' for the build procedure.  (Solaris `make' will not work.)
 - An ANSI-C compiler which understands // comments is required.
   The GNU C compiler is recommended.

Where can I find HiPE ?
=======================

HiPE is freely available at:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

where further information about HiPE also can be found.

- Erik Johansson, Mikael Pettersson, and Kostis Sagonas
--

Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 public relase of HiPE native-code Erlang compiler

> HiPE is a SPARC-V9 native-code compiler for the Erlang programming
> language, currently based on Open Source Erlang V47.4.1.  HiPE is

any plans to port it to other platforms (alpha)?

Hartmann Schaffer

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 public relase of HiPE native-code Erlang compiler

>> HiPE is a SPARC-V9 native-code compiler for the Erlang programming
>> language, currently based on Open Source Erlang V47.4.1.  HiPE is

>any plans to port it to other platforms (alpha)?

Or the ubiquitous, i386? If it's done purely as a research project I
can sympathise with why you'd stay away, but alas that means that
many/most of us cannot give it a spin.

Myself I only have easy access to a V8+ machine, and even that would
not help, would it?

Stefan,
--
Stefan Axelsson                         Chalmers University of Technology

(Remove "rmovt.rply" to send mail.)

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 04:00:00 GMT
 public relase of HiPE native-code Erlang compiler

>> HiPE is a SPARC-V9 native-code compiler for the Erlang programming
>> language, currently based on Open Source Erlang V47.4.1.  HiPE is

>any plans to port it to other platforms (alpha)?

Alpha: Probably not in the near future. The main technical problem
is that the runtime system (we're using the runtime system from
Ericsson's open source Erlang) isn't 64-bit ready.

(We're using the SPARC-V9 in 32-bit mode, essentially as a SPARC V7/V8
with some additional instructions like branches with prediction hints.)

An x86 port will happen soon. For other ports, we're basically just
limited by availability of hardware (for testing) and manpower.

/Mikael Pettersson
--

Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 04:00:00 GMT

1. Native code compilers

2. Re(try): A native-code compiler in Forth

3. A native-code Java compiler in Forth

4. QuickSort(), native code, Force compiler

5. What is a 'native code' compiler

6. XDS native code compiler for NT

7. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS

8. XDS native code compiler for NT

9. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS

10. OCaml native code compiler has little to do with C--

11. native-code Scheme compilers for Linux

12. Cobol-Compiler on Linux wanted - native code