drawing textual representations of binary trees
Author Message
 drawing textual representations of binary trees

Hello,

I'm looking for an algorithm or a functional program to display
a binary tree in a _compact_ format like

             / \

           / \   \

      leaf leaf   / \
               leaf leaf

which minimises the size of the displayed graph.

Any offers?

Richard
--
Richard Watson                       Centre for Computing & Maths
phone: +61 66 203117                 Southern Cross University

Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 drawing textual representations of binary trees

Quote:

>Hello,

>I'm looking for an algorithm or a functional program to display
>a binary tree in a _compact_ format like

>             / \

>           / \   \

>      leaf leaf   / \
>               leaf leaf

>which minimises the size of the displayed graph.

>Any offers?

Yes, we're developing daVinci, a tool for visualization of directed
graphs. daVinci is free available for non-profit use and is ported
to Sun's (SunOS4.x or Solaris 2.x), HP's (HP-UX) and PC's (Linux or
FreeBSD). Fuller information about daVinci is available in WWW:

  http://www.Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE/~inform/forschung/daVinci

don't have WWW access.

daVinci is implemented in the functional language ASpecT, which has
been developed at our institute some years ago.

Best regards
Mattias Werner

---
                Dipl. Inform. Mattias Werner
                Institute for Formal Methods in Software Engineering
                University of Bremen
                Postfach 330440
                D-28334 Bremen

                Tel.:   (x49-421) 218-4228
                Fax:    (x49-421) 218-3054

                WWW:    http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~mawe/mawe.html

Mon, 20 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 drawing textual representations of binary trees

Quote:
> I'm looking for an algorithm or a functional program to display
> a binary tree in a _compact_ format like

>              / \

>            / \   \

>       leaf leaf   / \
>                leaf leaf

> which minimises the size of the displayed graph.

There's a derivation of such an algorithm in my paper "Deriving Tidy
Drawings of Trees". It's out/jeremy/papers/drawing.ps.Z on
ftp.cs.auckland.ac.nz, or you can reach it through my home page (URL
below). To appear soon in JFP.

about his paper on the topic, also to appear soon in JFP. His is not a
derivation, so he gets more directly to the program.

Note that neither of these papers discuss algorithms that *minimize* the
width; to do so in general necessitates identical subtrees being drawn
differently (Supowit and Reingold, 1983). They do produce "compact"
(non-rectangular) drawings, though.

Jeremy

---

  Dept of CS, University of Auckland,                fax +64 9 373 7453
  Private Bag 92019, Auckland,                 tel +64 9 373 7599 x5120
  New Zealand.                     http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~jeremy

Tue, 21 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. drawing a binary tree with php gd from mysql data

2. Tkinter -- drawing small textual Buttons

3. Converting Binary To String (with out binary representation)

4. Self-Adjusting Binary Search Trees (Splay Trees)

5. Self-Adjusting Binary Search Trees (Splay Trees)

6. AVL Tree,Binary Tree,Sorting..

7. Tree Representation

8. Graphical representation of trees and graphs

9. Graphical representation of trees and graphs

10. User interface in SWI Prolog / tree representation?

11. Visual representation of trees?

12. tree representation help!!