Petit survey: What functional language do you use?
Author Message
 Petit survey: What functional language do you use?

Hello,
I am currently working on a project for school which is about functional
programming. I thought this is the best source to get the infos i need. So,
what funtional language do you use for your projects, and why?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:14:17 GMT
 Petit survey: What functional language do you use?
I use Clean 1.3.  I haven't upgraded to 2.0 yet.

I'm using it to write a ray tracer, albeit very slowly.  I am using Clean
because of its performance relative to other functional languages mostly.  I'm
using a functional language instead of an imperative language to learn
functional programming, as I think that functional language might be easier
for users to learn as a scripting language in an upcoming project than the
standard "dumbed down C" scripting language.

Besides, FPs are just cool :)

Jay

Quote:
> Hello,
> I am currently working on a project for school which is about functional
> programming. I thought this is the best source to get the infos i need. So,
> what funtional language do you use for your projects, and why?

> Thanks in advance,
> Matthias

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:14:25 GMT
 Petit survey: What functional language do you use?

Quote:

> I am currently working on a project for school which is about functional
> programming. I thought this is the best source to get the infos i need. So,
> what funtional language do you use for your projects, and why?

I, primarily, use SML for compiler-like projects.  This is partly
because there are good parser generators (that I'm familiar with) for
SML, partly because the basis library has useful functions for
compilers and partly because the module system is good for structuring
a compiler.  And I don't really miss laziness for such projects.

I use Haskell as an extended calculator -- when I need to solve a
puzzle or calculate something.  I find that the list comprehensions
and list processing functions make it very easy to write the kind of
functions I need and sometimes laziness is handy.  It has been a long
time since I used Haskell for any major project.

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:51:00 GMT
 Petit survey: What functional language do you use?

Quote:

> Hello,
> I am currently working on a project for school which is about functional
> programming. I thought this is the best source to get the infos i need. So,
> what funtional language do you use for your projects, and why?

I use Clean 1.3.2 on a PowerMac. I have made a combinator parser
library (yet another), some combinatorial optimizers based on
Simulated Annealing and many other programs and libraries, non
professionally though. Why Clean? Long ago I told myself I was not
ever going to buy a computer at all until a practical FP would come
along. Then I read about Clean in the Byte magazine (September 1994).
Since then I have never felt the need to change to another language.
The features of Clean (uniqueness, laziness, the type system and more)
still challenge me. It took me a long time to get comfortable with the
uniqueness system because at times it appears to be overly restrictive
to me. I have no plans to switch to monadic IO though, as that is even
more restrictive, and its syntax frustrates me.

Regards Erik Zuurbier

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:58:19 GMT
 Petit survey: What functional language do you use?

Quote:

>  I have made a combinator parser
> library (yet another), some combinatorial optimizers based on
> Simulated Annealing

I know what SA is. What is a combinator parser? Is it something like
yacc/lex or that markup optimization problem at one of the ICFP programming
contests?

Thanks
Oleg

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:09:53 GMT
 Petit survey: What functional language do you use?

Quote:

> I know what SA is. What is a combinator parser? Is it something like
> yacc/lex or that markup optimization problem at one of the ICFP programming
> contests?

Type in combinator parsers in Google's search-box and you'll get a
wealth of web-articles covering this. In a few words: a parser is
roughly a function that takes an input text and constructs a number of
parse trees. A parser combinator is a function that takes one or two
parsers and outputs a new one.

Regards Erik Zuurbier

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:47:16 GMT

1. survey replies: functional languages and GUI's

2. survey: functional languages and GUI's

3. Survey of functional languages

4. Survey of functional languages

5. Looking for a Functional Language Article Abstract Survey

6. Functional Language Teaching Survey [V. Long ~800 lines]

7. Le Petit Tour of Programming Languages

8. Using a functional language for home automation?

9. Using functional languages in companies

10. using a functional language for a commercial application

11. staff position using functional languages, at Harvard University

12. Functional Languages in the real world (was Re: Uses for scheme)