Polynomial functors (in categorical datatypes)
Author Message
 Polynomial functors (in categorical datatypes)

I'm pretty sure that polynomial functors are not what's
really needed to make Malcolm-style datatype constructions
in BMF work. There's a paper from the group at Calgary
(Cockett et al.) from which I gather that strength is
the real property of importance. This can be arranged
in several ways, one of which is to use a polynomial
functor in a CCC. Some people (Bob Walters for one)
would argue that this is the wrong setting, and prefer
distributive categories.

Anyway it seems possible to get the kind of benefits
that the CDT construction gives without needing
the polynomial restriction.

But we're getting a bit far from the centre of this
newsgroup.

The Calgary work can be obtained by ftp from
cpsc.ucalgary.ca in directory pub/charity/PAPERS.

                       -david skillicorn

Mon, 09 Jan 1995 00:51:53 GMT
 Polynomial functors (in categorical datatypes)
Article 1960 of comp.lang.functional:

 > I'm pretty sure that polynomial functors are not what's
 > really needed to make Malcolm-style datatype constructions
 > in BMF work. There's a paper from the group at Calgary
 > (Cockett et al.) from which I gather that strength is
 > the real property of importance.

At least it seems to be an important starting point if we are to take
categorical programming within the Hagino style seriously.

The "et al." group includes Tom Fukushima who has actually implemented
such a CDT programming language (CHARITY) with initial and final datatypes,
and myself, whose thesis - "Categorical Programming with Functorial
Strength" that expounds on much of the categorical underpinnings of this
language - will be completed within the next month or so. The parallels
with Malcolm's syntactic calculus are very strong (not a pun) and the
variety of datatypes available to the programmer is quite reasonable
for much practical programming (e.g. database applications).

- Dwight Spencer

  Oregon Graduate Institute --> Trinity College, Hartford, CT

Mon, 09 Jan 1995 05:05:54 GMT

1. Pervasive DataType to Clarion DataType...

2. DBCS G datatype -> X datatype

3. CAM-2 -- The New Categorical Abstract Machine(s)

4. Categorical Programming Language?

5. Categorical Programming Language?

6. Categorical Constructions

7. Categorical labels on x-axis in BLT

8. ocaml functors X-(

9. type class VS struct/functor

10. workaround for lack of functors in Haskell?

11. Covariant functors?

12. Making Mu an instance of Functor??