FORTH for PIC
Author Message
 FORTH for PIC

I am releasing to the public domain a driver for a MicroChip 24C32A EPROM
(32K-bit) developed on a PIC 16C74A.
The driver creates 4Kx8 of virtual memory with little overhead. Utilizes
burst mode write and read.
Anyone interested in porting a FORTH to this environment?

--
Virgil Stamps
"Creating products for fun and profit"

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC
Correction: Should read 24C32A EEPROM. (not EPROM)
Virgil Stamps

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC

Quote:
>I am releasing to the public domain a driver for a MicroChip 24C32A EPROM
>(32K-bit) developed on a PIC 16C74A.
>The driver creates 4Kx8 of virtual memory with little overhead. Utilizes
>burst mode write and read.
>Anyone interested in porting a FORTH to this environment?

Sounds great. BTW, why not send it to Microchip?  Or Forth.org?

Note that Microchip is releasing FLASH versions of the PIC16 family.
They should obsolete the serial EEPROM needs for VM's.  The PIC16C877 has
8K words of 14-bit memory.  Half can be protected, the other half writable.
Sounds like a good Forth (and other virtual machine) vehicle.

--Paul

http://www.kernelforth.com  (Forth in NT driver space)

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC

Is it possible to build something akin to the basic stamp, but with Forth ?

i.e. A Forth STAMP :)

rgds Andrew
"After all, if it weren't for change, your job would largely consist of making
 sure the corporate abacus rods were adequately greased." -------- John Cleese

Technical Consultant

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC

Quote:
>Is it possible to build something akin to the basic stamp, but with Forth ?

>i.e. A Forth STAMP :)

Of course.  And it would be better for it.

--Paul

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC
Paul,
My hat is off to the developers of other PIC FORTH schemes.
Just a terminal and the "Forth STAMP" would be nice.

The goals of a VM PIC forth project might include:
1. Having all the basic useable core words written in assembly subroutines
and residing in EPROM.
2. Exploiting all the resources of the chip: clock, timers, SPI, SIO, ports,
etc. with support words.
3. Interactively create new words via terminal saving them as tokens (BLK#,
OFFSET) in virtual memory (the eeprom).
4. Execute using tokens. Allows indirect execution from data space.
5. Ability to rebuild the core using Microchip Assembler.

The system would let the user develop applications very fast.
On the dark side: It may be too slow due to serial EEPROM access constantly
reading blocks.

Virgil

Quote:
?

> >i.e. A Forth STAMP :)

> Of course.  And it would be better for it.

> --Paul

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC
Hi All,

Quote:

>>Is it possible to build something akin to the basic stamp, but with Forth ?

>>i.e. A Forth STAMP :)

>Of course.  And it would be better for it.

Is any body doing or planning to do it ?

rgds Andrew

Quote:
>--Paul

"After all, if it weren't for change, your job would largely consist of making
 sure the corporate abacus rods were adequately greased." -------- John Cleese

Technical Consultant                            phone: (0161) 905 8070
Sun Professional Services (Custom Engineering)
City gate, Cross Street,
Sale,Cheshire,
M33 7JR

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC
What is "PIC" ?
What is "stamp" ?

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC

Quote:

> What is "PIC" ?
> What is "stamp" ?

Hi Richard,

Finally one that *I* can answer.

PIC refers to the collection of microcontrollers manufactured
by Microchip Technology in Chandler, AZ.  PIC, I believe,
originally stood for "Peripheral Interface Controller" although
I haven't seen it written in a long time.  Stamps are BASIC
interpreter modules constructed from a PIC microcontroller and
an EEPROM reminiscent of the old Intel 8052AH BASIC processor.
They are made by a company called Parallax.

Cheers,
Dan

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC

Quote:
>The goals of a VM PIC forth project might include:
>1. Having all the basic useable core words written in assembly subroutines
>and residing in EPROM.
>2. Exploiting all the resources of the chip: clock, timers, SPI, SIO,
ports,
>etc. with support words.
>3. Interactively create new words via terminal saving them as tokens (BLK#,
>OFFSET) in virtual memory (the eeprom).
>4. Execute using tokens. Allows indirect execution from data space.
>5. Ability to rebuild the core using Microchip Assembler.

Of course!

Quote:
>The system would let the user develop applications very fast.
>On the dark side: It may be too slow due to serial EEPROM access constantly
>reading blocks.

Microchip is releasing new FLASH based versions.with 8K words of 14-bit
memory,
the PIC16C87X family.  They look like good devices for VMs in general, not
just Forth.
Half the the (code) memory can be locked and the other half free for the
Forth program.
You could use the eForth for PIC17 as a base, but this device has one data
pointer, not two.

Anyway, it looks encouraging.  I am going to a Microchip seminar this
Monday...they will distribute a MPLAB-ICD with some 877 samples, so you may
see
some action out of this.  I would hack on the eForth-17 and see how far it
gets.

--Paul

http://www.kernelforth.com   (Forth for NT device drivers)

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC
Paul,
Keep us informed. I am interested in that part. Microchip web site had
little to say about it.
Virgil

Quote:
> Microchip is releasing new FLASH based versions.with 8K words of 14-bit
memory,
> the PIC16C87X family.  They look like good devices for VMs in general, not
just Forth.
> Half the the (code) memory can be locked and the other half free for the
Forth program.
> You could use the eForth for PIC17 as a base, but this device has one data
pointer, not two.

> Anyway, it looks encouraging.  I am going to a Microchip seminar this

Monday...they will distribute a MPLAB-ICD with some 877 samples, so you may
Quote:
> see some action out of this.  I would hack on the eForth-17 and see how
far it gets.

> --Paul

> http://www.kernelforth.com   (Forth for NT device drivers)

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for PIC

Quote:
>Keep us informed. I am interested in that part. Microchip web site had
>little to say about it.

I made an error on the part number...Its an PIC16F87x (F, not C)
Info is here:  http://www.microchip.com/10/Lit/PICmicro/16F87X/index.htm

(These are new FLASH based versions.of the PIC16C family,
called the PIC16F87X family.)

--Paul

Fri, 07 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forth for PIC 18fxxx series?

2. FORTH and PIC ????

3. FORTH to PIC compiler out!

4. Need FORTH for PIC family microcontrollers

5. FORTH for PIC chips

6. Forth in PIC Processor

7. FORTH for PIC micros

8. Forth and PIC uControllers

9. Forth for PIC microcontrollers

10. FORTH to PIC-compiler V1.00 out

11. Moving a PIC X(20) to PIC S9(8)V9(2) COMP 3 field

12. moving data from pic 99 to pic 99