To stand-alone or not to stand-alone
Author Message
 To stand-alone or not to stand-alone

* Replying to myself

Quote:
>>> Standalone applications... There is some confusion here... The most commom
>>> application in Forth *IS* Standalone, i.e., you turn on your computer, load
>>> Forth, load the application, and use it...
>>       This is almost EXACT definition of appplication that is NOT
>> stand-alone i.e. it can't be executed without some kind of intermediary ;-)
>                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> And what is the intermediary (in this case)? Forth? I agree with your
> definition of what is not stand-alone, but I can't see where my definition
> match with yours...
> Maybe the problem is with the "load". In this case, "load" can mean "load from
> ROM to RAM", "load, at BOOT, from drive", "just initialize it"...

Is the intermediary that you specified the user? I think the user is always
present you some way (turning on the machine?)... You can even be right (and I
wrong), but when I want to visualize a stand-alone application, I think in a
MUMPS system.

Quote:
>>>                              (8-DCS)

>                              (8-DCS)

                              (8-DCS)
Daniel C. Sobral

Wed, 23 Jun 1993 02:51:00 GMT
 To stand-alone or not to stand-alone

Quote:
>* Replying to myself

>>>       This is almost EXACT definition of appplication that is NOT
>>> stand-alone i.e. it can't be executed without some kind of intermediary ;-)
>>                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Sorry about the delay -- had to worry about my day job for a few days :^>.
By "stand-alone", I would say that includes both embedded programs and
applications that run under an OS. I do *not* consider having the interpreter

>> And what is the intermediary (in this case)? Forth? I agree with your
>> definition of what is not stand-alone, but I can't see where my definition
>> match with yours...

>> Maybe the problem is with the "load". In this case, "load" can mean "load
>> from ROM to RAM", "load, at BOOT, from drive", "just initialize it"...

  This still sidesteps the issue of 'where do I start?'.

Quote:
>Is the intermediary that you specified the user? I think the user is always
>present you some way (turning on the machine?)... You can even be right (and I
>wrong), but when I want to visualize a stand-alone application, I think in a
>MUMPS system.

  Try thinking of applications where there is no OS or that are in 24 hour
a day operation. Your willingness to type 'load 1' will evaporate almost
immediately after the 3 or 4th 3 am phone call :^> .

  The earlier posting concerning my post "What's wrong with Forth..."
was not dealing with my personal perceptions of Forth, but my view of
what non-Forthers will think when initially exposed to Forth if they
come from a non-Forth background.
  Screens and vocabularies and stacks and state sensitivity and no type
checking and no standards and "every Forth is a little different" ....
-- All these things are outside the normal world view of programming
languages taught to the typical programmer today.

Quote:

>                              (8-DCS)
>Daniel C. Sobral

-- Dave Ritchie

Thu, 24 Jun 1993 13:22:57 GMT

1. libs for stand alone programs

2. Can any Smalltalk dialects produce stand-alone DLLs?

3. Newbie: Producing small stand-alone exes for Windows

4. ENVY in stand-alone mode

5. Stand-alone database available?

6. vw ImageMaker stand alone

7. How Do You Create Stand Alone Applications?

8. Select directory stand alone ABC template

9. How to make a stand alone .EXE

10. ST Agents stand alone dev. system

11. ST Agents stand alone dev. system

12. Creating a stand-alone exec???