Forth books (was "ANS Forth")
Author Message
 Forth books (was "ANS Forth")

Quote:
>Jaxfanz and others have noted it.  I would urge you to notify your lawyers
>that their newly-proposed title for your book is uncomfortably close to the
>preexisting title, "FORTH: A TEXT AND REFERENCE".  That is, unless you and
>its authors/publisher have some agreement on why your book is a follow-on
>to theirs, or unless you hope to cash in by construing an imagined linkage
>of that sort.

        Back in the 1940's, Warner Bros., makers of "Casablanca", threatened
to sue the Marx Bros. for making a film called "A Night in Casablanca".

        Groucho Marx fired back a letter threatening to sue Warner Bros.
for calling themselves "brothers", since the Marx Bros. were brothers first.

        Thank you for sharing,{*filter*}. Best luck in 1993 selling Forth-79.

                Regards,

                =jax=

--

 # du!isis!koscej!jax        # # X3J14 TC # #  Forth Interest Group #
 # JAX on GEnie              # # for ANS  # #   P.O. Box 2154       #

Thu, 08 Jun 1995 08:07:31 GMT
 Forth books (was "ANS Forth")

Quote:
>         you can read about the draft proposed standard in my book

>         _Forth: the New Model_, M&T Books, 1992, ISBN 1-55851-277-2,
> available in January at your favorite bookstore.

>         Longtime jaxfanz, please note new title of book. I wrote it,
> the lawyers re-wrote it :-)

Jaxfanz and others have noted it.  I would urge you to notify your lawyers
that their newly-proposed title for your book is uncomfortably close to the
preexisting title, "FORTH: A TEXT AND REFERENCE".  That is, unless you and
its authors/publisher have some agreement on why your book is a follow-on
to theirs, or unless you hope to cash in by construing an imagined linkage
of that sort.

Whether or not your Forth book is in the same class as this excellent one,
I don't expect that it will be in the same series.  If this is correct,
please honor prior Forth authors by considering some different and more
original style than the "FORTH:" opening word for your book's title.
Thank you.

--Dick Miller

A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | Miller Microcomputer Services |

Voice: 508/653-6136, 9am-9pm EasternTZ | Natick, MA 01760-2099, USA    |
MMSFORTH: The cure for the common code.| 42 17 N, 71 21 W, Earth, Sol  |

Thu, 08 Jun 1995 02:29:37 GMT
 Forth books (was "ANS Forth")
Sorry for the flame, but...

In my (non-lawyer) opinion, the titles are not equal or anything close to it.
To claim so is a bunch of BS. You don't see anyone complaining about the number
of books that start with the word 'the' do you? Do you think that such books
would be thought of as being in the same series? UP WAKE COFFEE SMELL AND <ret>

-Jim "DUMP DROP FLUSH" {*filter*}

Fri, 16 Jun 1995 08:13:46 GMT
 Forth books (was "ANS Forth")
FigTree (as I knew it) was a BBS in Albany back in the late 70s/early 80s.
It was written by PDP-11 implementor and implementation team member John James.

The internet should have such a tree...

Fri, 16 Jun 1995 08:21:23 GMT
 Forth books (was "ANS Forth")
Yes, Lady Bacardi mentioned as much. Albany"s FIGTREE was a BBS. Her software
was, i believe, a BBS program written in Forth.

Th only thing that they share in common is the name FIGTREE, and that's about
all.

--

    "It is the very mind itself
     That leads the mind astray;

Sat, 17 Jun 1995 01:31:14 GMT

1. Forth standards (was "forth standard?")

2. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?

3. FS: "Starting Forth", "Thinking Forth", & 8/80 BYTE (Forth Issue)

4. ANS Forth in ANS Forth?

5. "Nuts and Volts" Forth praise

6. Wired Magazine Declares Forth "Extinct"

7. Forth in "Electronic Design"

8. "I hate Forth"

9. Reply to Article "I hate Forth"

10. "Hello World!" in Color Forth