cross-compiler word set questions
Author Message
 cross-compiler word set questions

Quote:

> I'm trying to get my head around the cross compiler word set document
> (proposed ANS extension from ftp.forth.com).  It looks like it could
> simplify some of the "ugliness" in creating a cross compiler, but is
> confusing in places and lacks examples.  At least, I have found no
> publically/freely available examples of its use.

Our SwiftX evaluation CD is almost free ($15) and includes examples
for many popular microcontrollers.  MPE may also have evaluation
systems.

Quote:
> For one, it appears to be written towards people wanted to cross
> compile applications, not complete kernels (such as implying that
> adding words to COMPILER scope is normally rare).  And it talks about
> "custom" defining words, whereas I want to use it to create standard
> defining words.  Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding?

This is certainly true.  The assumption is that a cross-compiler
includes a target kernel to which the user will add an application.
However, most of the kernel is built with the same cross-compiler.
The goal of the proposed standard is to describe the interface
between the development tool and the application.

Similarly, ANS Forth is designed for users writing applications,
not as a tool for developing systems.  From the perspective
of the system implementor, it's a destination, not a roadmap.
Same for the proposed X-C standard.

Quote:
> Next big question is - where do fundamental words that build on a
> target go?  Such as assembler vocabulary, the typical "HERE-T" "C,-T"
> and so forth?  These would be used both by interpreting words and by
> compiling words.  The A.x.3.1 table showing example search orders
> implies that COMPILER scope only searches FORTH; does this imply that
> COMPILER words shouldn't just call the INTERPRETER version of "," if
> necessary?

Put them where you like.  Ultimately, they're added to FORTH, either
segregated or not.  We just add them to FORTH.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:42:32 GMT
 cross-compiler word set questions

Quote:

> > Next big question is - where do fundamental words that build on a
> > target go?  Such as assembler vocabulary, the typical "HERE-T" "C,-T"
> > and so forth?  These would be used both by interpreting words and by
> > compiling words.  The A.x.3.1 table showing example search orders
> > implies that COMPILER scope only searches FORTH; does this imply that
> > COMPILER words shouldn't just call the INTERPRETER version of "," if
> > necessary?

> Put them where you like.  Ultimately, they're added to FORTH, either
> segregated or not.  We just add them to FORTH.

I would like to add that the XC dp-standard does not say
that polymorphism of words like HERE , ! must be implemented via
compile-time dictionary search. Other approaches are also ok
(virtual function tables, DEFERred words, etc.).

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:55:47 GMT

1. Cross-Compiler word set question

2. Word by word cross reference

3. 6808 Cross compiler question...

4. Ada compilers and cross-compilers

5. Compilers Windows NT or Cross Compiler SunSolaris2.5/Windows NT Fortran77

6. Cross-language challenge (- "word" processing

7. Set of words needed to bootstrap a new Forth

8. 16-color-text-ext word set

9. MInimal set of system words

10. the headers word set

11. Vocabulary word set

12. Floating point word set in Forth-83 ?