Payne's 8051 Forth system
Author Message
 Payne's 8051 Forth system

Has anyone who built the Payne 8051 Forth development system
experienced problems running it on AT class machines and/or on
Windows in a DOS box?

I built this system some years ago.  While it ran fine on an XT,
on AT machines it would not properly receive disk blocks from
the 8051 board.  (As I recall, disk blocks sent by the 8051
would sometimes appear on the screen rather than be written
to the disk block file).

Has anyone had the same problem?

While I'm using Payne's software, I'm not using his hardware.
Actually I've never seen Payne's schematic so I don't know how
far it differs from mine.  I designed my own hardware based
on the software listings.  While hardware differences might
account for my problem, somehow I doubt it as the problems
seems to be all at the PC end.

Lastly, does anyone know if there were ever any software
updates?

thanks,
Ed

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:04:48 GMT
 Payne's 8051 Forth system

Quote:
> Has anyone who built the Payne 8051 Forth development system
> experienced problems running it on AT class machines and/or on
> Windows in a DOS box?

I have worked with Payne's Forth a long while ago, but found it
very complicated, so we wrote our own. The name is 8052-ANS-Forth
and there are versions for 8052, 80C535, 80C552, 80C320. I also
ran it on an  8052 version on the 80C251 architecture.

You need however an 32kByte EPROM for the code, the other 32kByte
are RAM. So quite simple.

It's based on the official dpANS document. And we have written an
english language manuel for it. Our users group has also developped
a printed cirquit for the 80C535 and sell it at the price of the components.

Quote:
> Lastly, does anyone know if there were ever any software
> updates?

I don't think the Forth from Payne is ever updated. Our version still
lives however, because we wrote the metacompiler and all sources
ourselves. Let me know if you are interested.

Quote:
> thanks,
> Ed

Regards, Willem Ouwerkerk (chairman of the Dutch FIG).

--
    For more information about the  Dutch Forth Users Group,
    orders, 8052-ANS-Forth, ByteForth for AT89x051 & AVR,

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:33:55 GMT
 Payne's 8051 Forth system

Quote:

> > Has anyone who built the Payne 8051 Forth development system
> > experienced problems running it on AT class machines and/or on
> > Windows in a DOS box?

> I have worked with Payne's Forth a long while ago, but found it
> very complicated, so we wrote our own. The name is 8052-ANS-Forth
> and there are versions for 8052, 80C535, 80C552, 80C320. I also
> ran it on an  8052 version on the 80C251 architecture.

> You need however an 32kByte EPROM for the code, the other 32kByte
> are RAM. So quite simple.

> It's based on the official dpANS document. And we have written an
> english language manuel for it. Our users group has also developped
> a printed cirquit for the 80C535 and sell it at the price of the components.

Thanks for the info about your 8052 Forth.  I assume it won't work
on an 8051(?)  I'll check out the website.

Yes, Payne's Forth has some drawbacks.  Indirect-threading makes
it's a bit slow on a basic 8051.  Also being Fig-Forth put's one in
something of a timewarp!  On the plus side, however, it's a complete
development environment which makes apps creation/testing very
easy.

Ed

Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:10:05 GMT
 Payne's 8051 Forth system

Quote:

> > I have worked with Payne's Forth a long while ago, but found it
> > very complicated, so we wrote our own. The name is 8052-ANS-Forth
> > and there are versions for 8052, 80C535, 80C552, 80C320. I also
> > ran it on an  8052 version on the 80C251 architecture.

> > You need however an 32kByte EPROM for the code, the other 32kByte
> > are RAM. So quite simple.

> > It's based on the official dpANS document. And we have written an
> > english language manuel for it. Our users group has also developped
> > a printed cirquit for the 80C535 and sell it at the price of the
components.

> Thanks for the info about your 8052 Forth.  I assume it won't work
> on an 8051(?)  I'll check out the website.

I never Ran it on an 8051, why would you do that, or do you have
a sypply of tons of free 8051's? I don't think it is much of a problem
to change the compiler to generate an 8051-version. The greatest
differences are 128 bytes instead of 256 bytes Ram and one less
timer i think. The price is not much of an issue i think.

Quote:
> Yes, Payne's Forth has some drawbacks.  Indirect-threading makes
> it's a bit slow on a basic 8051.  Also being Fig-Forth put's one in
> something of a timewarp!  On the plus side, however, it's a complete
> development environment which makes apps creation/testing very
> easy.

Our system also comes with a complete development environment,
we have a Windows and DOS-based server nowedays. And online
help on all supplied words, lots of examples, autostart function,
relocatable compiler for generating rommable code (there is an
8-kByte gap in EPROM for users program's, etc.
So why use an outdated system?

Quote:
> Ed

Regards, Willem.

Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:36:41 GMT
 Payne's 8051 Forth system
Seeing this thread, reminded me that I happen to have Payne's book on the
shelf. Is there a URL to the Source code that is referenced in te book? I
may not use it but it would be nice to have the code on disk to match the
book. One never knows.

Your 8051 ANS Forth has me interested, It might work out nice on a Dallas
TINI (8052 based) MCU I have.
Is there a URL to info about it?
Thanks
Earl

Quote:

> > Has anyone who built the Payne 8051 Forth development system
> > experienced problems running it on AT class machines and/or on
> > Windows in a DOS box?

> I have worked with Payne's Forth a long while ago, but found it
> very complicated, so we wrote our own. The name is 8052-ANS-Forth
> and there are versions for 8052, 80C535, 80C552, 80C320. I also
> ran it on an  8052 version on the 80C251 architecture.

> You need however an 32kByte EPROM for the code, the other 32kByte
> are RAM. So quite simple.

> It's based on the official dpANS document. And we have written an
> english language manuel for it. Our users group has also developped
> a printed cirquit for the 80C535 and sell it at the price of the
components.

> > Lastly, does anyone know if there were ever any software
> > updates?

> I don't think the Forth from Payne is ever updated. Our version still
> lives however, because we wrote the metacompiler and all sources
> ourselves. Let me know if you are interested.

> > thanks,
> > Ed

> Regards, Willem Ouwerkerk (chairman of the Dutch FIG).

> --
>     For more information about the  Dutch Forth Users Group,
>     orders, 8052-ANS-Forth, ByteForth for AT89x051 & AVR,
>     Hardware course, Bamboe and the 'Egel workbook.
>     Homepage of the users group: http://www.forth.hccnet.nl
>     Phone: (+31)(0)26 4431305 (voice) or reply with an E-mail.

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:21:51 GMT
 Payne's 8051 Forth system

Quote:

> Seeing this thread, reminded me that I happen to have Payne's book on the
> shelf. Is there a URL to the Source code that is referenced in te book? I
> may not use it but it would be nice to have the code on disk to match the
> book. One never knows.

> Your 8051 ANS Forth has me interested, It might work out nice on a Dallas
> TINI (8052 based) MCU I have.
> Is there a URL to info about it?
> Thanks
> Earl

        You might consider our umbilical Forth for the 8051 family.  It's free
for downloading under the LGPL license, has a 500 byte kernel, is now
call-threaded for speed, and a previous version, V4 I believe, was ported
to the Dallas C320 in about 2 hours.

        An umbilicial, or tethered, Forth uses the host computer for compilation,
editing and heads while the code fields are downloaded via a serial link
for interpretative execution.  Much faster development cycle with smaller
requirements on the Target micro.

        We've moved on to the new generation of 8051 products, mainly Cygnal with
their 1 or 2 clock cycle/instruction at 25MIPS but there is a port to the
80C552 which should be extremely close to the Dallas part.  If you need
help give me a jingle.

-- Regards, Albert
AM Research, Inc.                         The Embedded Systems Experts
http://www.amresearch.com                                 (916) 780-7623

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 06:58:37 GMT
 Payne's 8051 Forth system

Quote:

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth

> Subject: Re: Payne's 8051 Forth system
> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:21:51 GMT

> Seeing this thread, reminded me that I happen to have Payne's book on the
> shelf. Is there a URL to the Source code that is referenced in te book? I
> may not use it but it would be nice to have the code on disk to match the
> book. One never knows.

The files for Payne's forth are available from  several sites
including Taygeta:

ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Compilers/cross/8051/

    f51docs.zip
    f86docs.zip
    forth51.zip
    forth86.zip
    misc51.zip
    read51.txt

Ed

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:28:48 GMT

1. Payne's 8051 Development system

2. 8051 ISR's to Forth

3. Payne's "Embedded Controller Forth...8051.." software!

4. Z80 and 8051 Forth's

5. Forth for 8051 or PIC

6. Anyone recommend a good 8051 Forth?

7. A new Forth for the 8051