UNIX vs. MS-DOS Forth
Author Message
 UNIX vs. MS-DOS Forth

In my experience, there is no Forth that is easily compatible/portable
between the MS-DOS and UNIX world.  I would like to know of such a beast
if it exists.

Under UNIX, there seems to be a woeful lack of good Forth interpreters.
Allan Pratt wrote one called C-Forth.  I have played with it a bit.  It
is buggy as supplied.  The disk I/O does not work under System V.  If you
have some experience with Forth interpreters it isn't too hard to fix up.

Mitch Bradley has a Forth interpreter that is purported to be very good.
I have never used it.  It is written for Suns and has very impressive I/O
support.  I understand that it can be booted on a Sun stand-alone and used
to manipulate everything from the graphics to the Ethernet port.  I re-
iterate that this is hearsay and I haven't seen for myself.

A long time ago, I played with a UNIX Forth written by Micheal MacNeil
for Version 7.  It was on a PDP-11/70 at UC Berkeley.  It even had an
on-line man page.  It had a string stack and access to the version 7
system calls.  It was pretty spiffy.  Does anyone know where there
is a listing of this Forth?

I would like to kick around some ideas about a Forth system whose
purpose would be to provide large machine users with a portable, standard,
useable development environment.  Here's where I start:

32-bit Forth
Written in C (because it's ubiquitous in the environments I care about)
String package
Floating point package
File I/O package
Rich set of primitives
Access to C library system calls (fork() etc)

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)                   These ARE my employer's opinions!
Noe Systems, San Francisco

Thu, 17 Dec 1992 23:06:00 GMT

1. LMI Forth (was: porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix)

2. porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix

3. PC DOS vs MS DOS:serial communications

4. Problem: MS-DOS Oberon and copy(to/from)msdos

5. UNIX scheme vs MSDOS scheme

6. Unix Data files vs DOS data files

7. help: MAC FORTRAN VS. MS FORTRAN DOS/WINDOWS

8. unix vs dos differences

9. Graphics libraries for use with MS-DOS forth

10. Public Domain Forth for MS-DOS, the latest.

11. What MS-DOS Forth do people REALLY use?

12. want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)