Does this news group HATE forth
Author Message
 Does this news group HATE forth

Quote:

> >Hi,

> >[snip]
> >>Trying to learn something completely new is harder than
> >> learning something that has some similarities to what is already
> >> known.

> >This is certainly the conventional wisdom, but I don't think it always
> >applies to Forth.
> >I coined the phrase "an un-learning curve" to describe the problem that I
> >had in understanding colorForth and OKAD II.
> >I think mainstream ( C, C++, Java, VB ) programmers have the same problem
> >understanding conventional Forth.
> >There seems to be a real phenomenon where people are held back by their
own
> >understanding.
> >This is my experience - has any one else observed the same thing?

> >BTW I do not hate Forth  8^)

> >Regards

> >Howerd

> The Algol language model is so ubiquitous, that it's sometimes hard to
think
> of a language as following a different pattern. It helped me to think of
> Forth as a kind of high level assembler, rather than as a weird postfix
form
> of C or Pascal.

> Walter Rottenkolber

I think it was at the 1983 Trenton Computer Faire, I was giving a short
intro to Forth and came up with this definition, which has stuck with me
since then:

Forth is an extensible macro assembler for a stack oriented pseudomachine.

-Ron Braithwaite (slowly reading through the posts)

Sun, 03 Apr 2005 06:22:15 GMT

1. Does this news group HATE forth

2. Russian news FORTH group

3. New local news group on news.totallyobjects.com

4. FLORIDA FIRE VICTIMS - NEWS-GROUP-NEWS

5. I hate to ask the group this but...

6. I hate to ask the group this but...

7. "I hate Forth"

8. Reply to Article "I hate Forth"

9. comp.lang.forth FAQ: Part 6 of 6, Forth Groups

10. Forth Programming Language FAQ: Part 6 of 6, Forth Groups

11. Forth Programming Language FAQ: Part 6 of 6, Forth Groups

12. Grouping decimals (100.000 000) can it be done ??