Finite State Machines
Author Message
 Finite State Machines

Can anyone help me find stuff in the Forth literature on Finite State
Machines please?

Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:
"Graeme Dunbar"  writes:
> Can anyone help me find stuff in the Forth literature on Finite State
> Machines please?

An article by me, "Finite State Machines in Forth" appears in the
on-line version of JFAR. The URL is

        http://cis.paisley.ac.uk/forth/jfar/vol7/paper1.html

unless something has subsequently changed. Peter Knaggs probably
has the more up-to-date info. Also you can probably link to JFAR
from the FIG page.

Essentially I construct a mini-compiler for FSM's. Multiple examples
of the use of this technique are given in my FORmula TRANslator,
which I will e-mail you if you would like it.

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Sat, 06 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:
> "Graeme Dunbar"  writes:
> > Can anyone help me find stuff in the Forth literature on Finite State
> > Machines please?

> An article by me, "Finite State Machines in Forth" appears in the
> on-line version of JFAR. The URL is

>         http://cis.paisley.ac.uk/forth/jfar/vol7/paper1.html

> unless something has subsequently changed. Peter Knaggs probably
> has the more up-to-date info. Also you can probably link to JFAR
> from the FIG page.

> Essentially I construct a mini-compiler for FSM's. Multiple examples
> of the use of this technique are given in my FORmula TRANslator,
> which I will e-mail you if you would like it.

Peter's stuff has all moved to:-

   http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/

Scrabble around there for a bit and you should find the links to JFAR on
there.

--

Transport Control Technology Ltd.   <http://www.tcontec.demon.co.uk/>

Going Forth Safely

Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines
Julian,

   I would be interested in reading this article.  However, I was unable to
find it at the stated URL or starting from the FIG URL?  Any ideas?

   Thanks.

Steve Graham

====

Quote:

>"Graeme Dunbar"  writes:
>> Can anyone help me find stuff in the Forth literature on Finite State
>> Machines please?

>An article by me, "Finite State Machines in Forth" appears in the
>on-line version of JFAR. The URL is

>        http://cis.paisley.ac.uk/forth/jfar/vol7/paper1.html

>unless something has subsequently changed. Peter Knaggs probably
>has the more up-to-date info. Also you can probably link to JFAR
>from the FIG page.

>Essentially I construct a mini-compiler for FSM's. Multiple examples
>of the use of this technique are given in my FORmula TRANslator,
>which I will e-mail you if you would like it.

>--
>Julian V. Noble

>"Elegance is for tailors!"      -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

What is a finite state machine?

Klaus Schilling

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:
> What is a finite state machine?

I can't explain in English, sorry. My tip is, read:

Article:
C't 8/1985, Heinz Ebert, "Bernie und die Automaten -
Ausflug in die Automatentheorie". A copy costs 5 DM
(Verrechnungscheck) available from
c't-Kopierservice
Helstorfer Stra?e 7, 30625 Hannover

Book:
Gerhard Goos, "Vorlesungen ber Informatik Bd.1-6",
Springer Verlag. (Stw. endliche Automaten)

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:

> What is a finite state machine?

> Klaus Schilling

It is hard to give a short definition. Perhaps you know it by another name
or know of a related topic:
Moore Machine, Mealy Machine, ... Turing Machine, Finite Automata, even
"Game of Life"

Here are two very good introductions:
conceptual/mathematical -
       http://www.uvic.ca/home/mmania/machines/intro.htm
electronic engineering -
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/CDL/chapter8/chapter08.doc4.html

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:
> Can anyone help me find stuff in the Forth literature on Finite State
> Machines please?

Searching for "state" in the Forth bibliography
(http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/Compiler/forth.html) gives
many hits for finite state machines (I hoped to find some references
to papers about the problems of STATE-smart words, but had no luck).

- anton

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:

> > What is a finite state machine?

> > Klaus Schilling

> It is hard to give a short definition....

A finite state machine is an extended case-statement within a BEGIN-loop.

--

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:

>> > What is a finite state machine?

>> > Klaus Schilling

>> It is hard to give a short definition....

>A finite state machine is an extended case-statement within a BEGIN-loop.

... or a group of BEGIN-loops (one for each state) connected by GOTOs.

Philip Preston.

Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:
> Here are two very good introductions:
> conceptual/mathematical -
>        http://www.uvic.ca/home/mmania/machines/intro.htm
> electronic engineering -
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/CDL/chapter8/chapter08.doc4.html

I found both of these links to be invalid...

--
Martin Cooper
Worldtalk Corporation

Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:
> Can anyone help me find stuff in the Forth literature on Finite State
> Machines please?

"More Than A Simple State Machine" by John Rible and Devin Wilson
Forth Dimensions May/June and July/August 1996

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:

>> What is a finite state machine?

SDL "Symbolic Description Language" is used in the telecom industry to
exchange ideas between hardware and software engineers.  I think it is
CCITT (Now ITU-T) spec Z100 or similar.  It deals with finite state
machines.

That's all I know.  Does anyone know any more about SDL, such as some
tutorial material on www?

--
Bill Powell.    Atherstone, Warks., UK,  CV9 3AR.
        Tel: +44 1827-718 945   |  Fax:         -714 884

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines

Quote:

> > Here are two very good introductions:
> > conceptual/mathematical -
> >        http://www.uvic.ca/home/mmania/machines/intro.htm
> > electronic engineering -
> > http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/CDL/chapter8/chapter08.doc4.html

> I found both of these links to be invalid...

> Martin Cooper
> Worldtalk Corporation

Many apologies. I mis-typed them. This time I cut and pasted from my
bookmarks and visited the sites first just to make sure.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/CLD/chapter8/chapter08.doc4.html

http://www.csr.uvic.ca/home/mmania/machines/intro.htm

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finite State Machines
Sorry, I must have copied the URLs incorrectly. Here they are again
straight from my bookmarks. I checked that they are still valid.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/CLD/chapter8/chapter08.doc4.html
http://www.csr.uvic.ca/home/mmania/machines/intro.htm

Quote:

> > Here are two very good introductions:
> > conceptual/mathematical -
> >        http://www.uvic.ca/home/mmania/machines/intro.htm
> > electronic engineering -
> > http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/CDL/chapter8/chapter08.doc4.html

> I found both of these links to be invalid...

> --
> Martin Cooper
> Worldtalk Corporation

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. finite state machines, state cad

2. Finite State Machine and Forth

3. ESTEREL, Forth and finite state machines

4. finite state machines

5. Finite state machine compiler

6. Finite State Machines

7. OO Finite State Machine Language

8. Finite State Machine inherent support

9. cisco_fsm (finite state machine) free tool: pre-announcement

10. Use of a Finite State Machine in testbench code

11. FSMedit - The Finite State Machines Editor - Version 2.0

12. finite-state-machine problems => Synopsys