Howto: 8M for GForth in DOS
Author Message
 Howto: 8M for GForth in DOS

Hallo, World!

How much memory is available for GForth in DOS?

How to compile GForth in DOS to get more than 640 kB of memory?

Is it the same song like from Borland
 ...single object cannot be > 64(0)kB  ?

Regards

Eduard

(which does not like and does not have time to read manuals,
 but likes small demo/examples)

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Howto: 8M for GForth in DOS

Quote:

> Hallo, World!

> How much memory is available for GForth in DOS?

All you have, and more, if you like to swap ;-).

Quote:
> How to compile GForth in DOS to get more than 640 kB of memory?

Use DJGPP, DJ Delories port of GCC to DOS. I use it for the DOS binary
distribution. EMX might work, too, as the next (RSN) version of gforth
compiles with EMX for OS/2.

Quote:
> Is it the same song like from Borland
>  ...single object cannot be > 64(0)kB  ?

No, certainly not. Gforth is a 32 bit program, we didn't have the energy
or the volunteers to do a 16 bit version. Partly it's prepared, but
Gforth relies on GCC features no 16 bit C compiler has. So you need a
386sx or better and a DOS extender (GO32) to run Gforth. Gforth doesn't
allocate all the memory by default, but you can set the size of
different regions (dictionary, stack, return stack...) with command line
options.

If you have problems with the 4GB limit, take Gforth for Alpha, it's a
true 64 bit Forth ;-).

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"

Thu, 06 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Howto: 8M for GForth in DOS

Quote:
> Gforth doesn't
> allocate all the memory by default, but you can set the size of
> different regions (dictionary, stack, return stack...) with command line
> options.

So, you can use 8M for the dictionary with

gforth -m 8M

Unfortunately, gforth-0.1beta has a bug (fixed in the next release),
that may corrupt the dictionary beyond the default size. To work
around this, change the default size in main.fs (change the 256 to
8192 for 8M) and do a make.

Quote:
> If you have problems with the 4GB limit, take Gforth for Alpha, it's a
> true 64 bit Forth ;-).

Because GNU C's "long long" type is not implemented properly on the
Alpha (under Digital "Unix"), doubles (128 bits) do not work
completely in gforth-0.1beta there. We have worked around this
problem, and the next release fully supports the Alpha.

- anton

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Howto: 8M for GForth in DOS

Quote:
>If you have problems with the 4GB limit, take Gforth for Alpha, it's a
>true 64 bit Forth ;-).

Nice one, Bernd.  You made my day :)

Bye for now                                                       _
                                          _______________________| |_____
Chris Jakeman                            / _Forth_Interest_Group_| |____/
                                        / /_  __  ______  _   _  | | __
at Peterborough                        / __/ / / / __  / | | | | | |/ /
(a cathedral city                     / /   / / / /_/ /  | \_| | |   <
 80 miles north of London)           /_/   /_/ /___  /    \____| |_|\_\
Where do you come from?                           / /
                                   ______________/ /     United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489          /_______________/          Chapter

Sun, 09 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. CRC-32 native code for DOS GForth 0.5.0

2. EKEY in gforth in DOS

3. Small bug in GForth.050 for DOS

4. Compiling Gforth for DOS; long

5. GForth for DOS -- HTML documentation

6. Low-Level I/O Primitives for GFORTH (for DOS)

7. Gforth, DOS and Win32 ports, Call for Volunteers

8. GForth for DOS

9. How to clear screen in Gforth Dos

10. gforth for MS-DOS

11. HOWTO move dos 5.2 dbase app to 2000\XP

12. Gforth: dll's and .so's