ESTEREL, Forth and finite state machines
Author Message
 ESTEREL, Forth and finite state machines

Quote:
> Having got that out of the way let me state at once that I have not
> seen ESTEREL in action, but gather that it employs a finite state machine
> model of programming and that this is its chief claim to superiority.
<snip>
> Finally, as a theoretical physicist I am very suspicious of mathematical
> program verification methods. Complex programs that must respond to
> a priori unknown inputs usually have too many states to be completely
> evaluated.

However I can report that there is a valuable role for finite-state machines
based on a maths foundation - and in a field which is commercially important.

Recent research has shown that it is possible to draw up a specification for
a sequential procedure - for example filling a tank - using simple logic
statements.  These statements can be translated automatically into a finite
state machine to execute the procedure and the state machine can be translated
to any suitable control system including Forth.

The important part of this research is that the translation to the finite
state machine validates the specification.  Any element which is inconsistent,
incomplete or just plain impossible will be identified.  For the first time
ever, we can have executable code which is guaranteed to implement the
specification 100%!

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it!

Bye for now                                                       _
                                          _______________________| |_____
Chris Jakeman                            / _Forth_Interest_Group_| |____/
                                        / /_  __  ______  _   _  | | __
at Peterborough                        / __/ / / / __  / | | | | | |/ /
(a cathedral city                     / /   / / / /_/ /  | \_| | |   <
 80 miles north of London)           /_/   /_/ /___  /    \____| |_|\_\
Where do you come from?                           / /
                                   ______________/ /     United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 346477          /_______________/          Chapter

Thu, 06 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Finite State Machine and Forth

2. finite state machines, state cad

3. Finite State Machines

4. finite state machines

5. Finite state machine compiler

6. Finite State Machines

7. OO Finite State Machine Language

8. Finite State Machine inherent support

9. cisco_fsm (finite state machine) free tool: pre-announcement

10. Use of a Finite State Machine in testbench code

11. FSMedit - The Finite State Machines Editor - Version 2.0

12. finite-state-machine problems => Synopsys