Forth and Gtk?
Author Message
 Forth and Gtk?

Does anybody porting or ported Gtk to Forth;
It  could have been great to program with this toolkit, in Forth
in Linux and Windows.

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth and Gtk?

Quote:
> Does anybody porting or ported Gtk to Forth;
> It  could have been great to program with this toolkit, in Forth
> in Linux and Windows.

I have been working on this on and off for a while. Because callback is
not available in GForth yet, and I don't know GForth well enough to
implement it myself, I have to do it in my own pet Forth system, which
run only in intel-based linux box. In this case, I can implement the
callback mechanism in machine code. So far, I have been able to
translate first couple of examples from GTK tutorial without any
problem. When I got further into the tutorial, I started to encounter
some problems. First of all, I have to look up the values of constants
from header file and redefine them in Forth. Second, I need to figure
out the offset of given element from a structure, which is kind of
tedious. Anton mentioned a couple of time it will be very useful to have
a program to convert header file to forth words automatically. I agree
it will help a lot in this case. Third, it works with libgtk.so.1, but
not libgtk-1.2.so.0. A lot of assertion errors popup because of type
cehcking.

Since there are some problems to overcome in integrating GTK and Forth,
I start to re-evaluate why we need this kind of system. For myself, it
is a hobby project. What I care is the satisfaction I get when achieving
the goal. But, is it a valuable tool to the mass? What is the real value
to use GTK from Forth? Why can't we just use C to do it like everybody
else. If we do it in Forth, what kind of benefits can we expect from it?
What kind of goals should we try to obtain? I don't program to make a
living, so I may have a very different kind of view compared to most of
the people here. I will like to know what people here think about these
issues.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Now parsing gtk/gtk.h

2. Ruby-gtk, Gtk::Text question

3. GTK an GTK ada problemes

4. cl-gtk for gtk+-1.2

5. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)

6. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

7. Forth in Forth vs Forth in assembly

8. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

9. ExternalInterface and qT (GTK)

10. GNU Smalltalk / GTK bindings?

11. lpForth with GTK example

12. Gtk+ bindings for SML/NJ