Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest
Author Message
 Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

hi,
I was looking for a Forth system running on a small handheld DOS
computer and someone called Billy (I 'lost' the mail) suggested
PYGMY Forth ... I am very pleased! I used a NOVIX board with
cmFORTH some years ago, so I feel quite at home.
 BUT i have no idea about DOS :-)
Can anyone help me with PYGMY code for this pseudo-code?

1) char-serial-out ( char -- )
2) char-serial-available ( -- flag )
3) char-serial-in  ( -- char )
4) open-serial ( ?? -- ok? )

Sat, 05 Apr 1997 07:24:27 GMT
 Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

Quote:

>I was looking for a Forth system running on a small handheld DOS
>computer and someone called Billy (I 'lost' the mail) suggested
>PYGMY Forth ... I am very pleased! I used a NOVIX board with
>cmFORTH some years ago, so I feel quite at home.

Great!  Glad you like it.

Quote:
> BUT i have no idea about DOS :-)
>Can anyone help me with PYGMY code for this pseudo-code?

Well, I'm not that skilled with serial ports, but there's a pygmy library
out there called bptools.  Look on that navy ftp site with the really
unrememberable name :).  Was it ftp.taygeta.navy.mil?

-Billy

Fri, 11 Apr 1997 07:07:17 GMT
 Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

 E> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 94 15:04:41 -0500

 E> To access the serial port on a PC you need an interrupt
 E> driven driver.  This would normally be written in assembly.

FOSSIL drivers are for messydos: BNU-1.82, X00-2.53, to be loaded as device
drivers. After that serial port is valled via INT14, for initialisation or
single byte or bulk transfers. FOSSIL means: "Fido, Opus, Seadog Interface
Layer", meant to realize the lowest logical layer of Fidonet technology, the
serial port, in a reliable manner.

 E> There are BIOS functions to do what you want to do but
 E> they're only somewhat reliable at 1200 baud and not usable

With a FOSSIL loaded, so BIOS calls are improved (as is DOS redirection then).
The supported BIOS calls are well documented. Newest X00 will support up to
115.200 Baud. Should be available where FTN (Fido technology networks) is run as
software, should be many BBS's.

... Ewald

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 07:19:20 GMT

1. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

2. Windows Forth for handheld computer?

3. Forth for handheld PC?

4. Forth wanted for MSDOS handheld

5. Forth on handheld computer?

6. C->FORTH FORTH->C Translators

7. HELP>>>>>>>Fortran-Pascal Linking

8. >>>>>>>FROM SMTK TO C++

9. ><><><><>Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp on INT 14!><><><><><>

10. <<<<<YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT >>>>>>>>>> 2103

11. Slow/No Speed>>>>>>>>>

12. >>>>>AVL tree