SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?
Author Message
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Hello,

Is there a palmtop or handheld PC which will runn SwiftForth?

Or is there another Forth that will run on a palmtop or handheld PC which:

1. has 32-bit architecture.

2. has graphics capabilities.

Thank you.

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:13:39 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Quote:
> Hello,

> Is there a palmtop or handheld PC which will runn SwiftForth?

Don't know if you mean PocketPC, Palm or a different device. If you are
referring to the Palm, Quartus Forth (Neil Bridges) is really well done.
Check it out at www.quartus.net.

--
Best regards,

                               http://www.simforth.com

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:38:19 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> Is there a palmtop or handheld PC which will runn SwiftForth?

>Don't know if you mean PocketPC, Palm or a different device. If you are
>referring to the Palm, Quartus Forth (Neil Bridges) is really well done.
>Check it out at www.quartus.net.

Unfortunately the OP wants a 32-bit Forth, which Quartus is not.  I
would, however, still highly recommend it.  Another option for the Palm
is Dragon Forth at http://www.delosoft.com/
--
Mark Browne
If replying by email, please use the "Reply-To" address, as the

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:36:17 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?
On 13 Aug 2003 19:13:39 -0700, Robert

Quote:

> Hello,

> Is there a palmtop or handheld PC which will runn SwiftForth?

> Or is there another Forth that will run on a palmtop or handheld PC which:

> 1. has 32-bit architecture.

> 2. has graphics capabilities.

> Thank you.

The Sharp Zaurus runs Linux, so it should be capable of running gforth.

--
In America, any boy may become president and I suppose that's just one
of the risks he takes.

Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:20:54 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Quote:

>The Sharp Zaurus runs Linux, so it should be capable of running gforth.

It is.  You can find a binary package built by Skip Carter at

ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Compilers/native/unix/Zaurus/zaurus-g...

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
EuroForth 2003: http://www.micross.co.uk/euroforth2003/Call_for_papers.html

Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:33:09 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Quote:

> >The Sharp Zaurus runs Linux, so it should be capable of running gforth.

> It is.  You can find a binary package built by Skip Carter at

> ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Compilers/native/unix/Zaurus/zaurus-g...

> - anton

With gforth on the Zaurus ---

1. Is there a limit to program size?

2. Graphics support?

3. 32-bit numbers?

4. Floating-point?

Thanks.

Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:46:49 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Quote:

>With gforth on the Zaurus ---

>1. Is there a limit to program size?

Of course, like on any real machine.  I don't know how large you can
make it, though.

Quote:
>2. Graphics support?

Not easily.  You may be able to use any existing graphics libraries
through the C interface.

Quote:
>3. 32-bit numbers?

Of course.  Doubles even have 64 bits.

Quote:
>4. Floating-point?

Yes.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
EuroForth 2003: http://www.micross.co.uk/euroforth2003/Call_for_papers.html

Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:00:37 GMT
 SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

Quote:

[...]
>>2. Graphics support?

> Not easily.  You may be able to use any existing graphics libraries
> through the C interface.

How easy might it be to get at the underlying system calls?  My
understanding is that the Zaurus uses QT for the graphics API, and those
are reasonably well-known and documented.  I'm assuming gForth should be
able to hook into those so an enterprising coder could make their Forth
app look and feel like any other Z app.

-- cm

Sun, 05 Feb 2006 00:27:38 GMT

1. Forth for handheld PC?

2. UTIL FORTH on a Palmtop PC

3. Palm/handheld pc etc

4. Windows Forth for handheld computer?

5. Forth for Win CE Palmtops?

6. About Palmtops and forth

7. Palmtops in one hand and forth another hand

8. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

9. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

10. Forth wanted for MSDOS handheld

11. Forth on HP Palmtop

12. want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)