Looking for information on Forth in hardware...
Author Message
 Looking for information on Forth in hardware...

I posted an article a couple of weeks ago about putting Forth into
better use on my Televideo 803 (c. 1983 or so) which currently runs
CP/M in 64K.  It has 8K EPROM which I would be happy to replace
with a Forth kernel.  I have Laxen & Perry's F83 up and running, and
I realize that I could metacompile, but I'm not quite a Forth guru.
I wouldn't be opposed to replacing my motherboard with some SBC,
and I'm not exactly sure where to start, except that Harris and
Rockwell have Forth in hardware.  Someone mentioned MPE, in England.
What do they offer?

Is anyone familiar with Hartronix?  I know they had some nice
Forth engines on the market in about 1986, and that there is still
a Hartronix at the old phone #, but I don't know what they are
still making, if anything.  Anybody know?  Theirs was a "bit-slice"
system...what does that mean, exactly?  Thanks in advance...

                                                     +-----------+
                                                     | _> ###    |
                   Come out conjuring...             |     |     |
                                                     +-----------+

Mon, 04 Sep 1995 10:59:17 GMT
 Looking for information on Forth in hardware...

Quote:
> I wouldn't be opposed to replacing my motherboard with some SBC,
> and I'm not exactly sure where to start, except that Harris and
> Rockwell have Forth in hardware.  Someone mentioned MPE, in England.
> What do they offer?

We've got Forth cross compilers for a large number of targets
including the Harris RTX2000 family. On the hardware side theres SBCs
based on the RTX and Intel 80C196 amongst other things.

There is also some development happening with the FRP1600 chip,
another Forth engine from ETA in Germany.

I believe you might well be able to get our RTX cross compiler direct
from Harris, but I'm sure Steve Pelc will correct me I'm wrong!

Failing that you can always get information direct from us - If you
mail a postal address, we will send you a catalog.

With regard to CP/M, well we have a Z80 Cross compiler if that helps!

Gary Ellis

--

MPE, 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO1 5AF, England
tel: (+44) 703 631441  fax: (+44) 703 339691

Tue, 05 Sep 1995 02:27:00 GMT

1. Barcode/MagStripe Libraries/hardware information needed

2. Looking For Old Mainframe Hardware/Language Specs

3. Simple Hardware, Simpler FORTH

4. Seeking Fast Forth Hardware

5. Forth for hardware debugging in simulations

6. Rockwell FORTH hardware

7. DIY Forth hardware

8. Looking for DAQ hardware

9. Looking for someone to writer hardware drivers

10. The *ultimate* Forth hardware engine?

11. The *ultimate* Forth hardware engine?

12. The Harris hardware forth processor