Forth on handheld computer?
Author Message
 Forth on handheld computer?

Hello,

I need to write a math program. I prefer to use Forth. The final
program size will be about 700k or 1 Mb, and it must also access some
data files of about 1 Mb in size. For the floating-point math
routines, I will need about 10-decimal-place precision.

The program must run on a handheld computer. I like the HP 200LX for
its long battery life, but I believe that it uses a 186 processor, and
it is very slow.

My question is --- is there a Forth that can accomplish this? Which
handheld computer might be good for such a Forth?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert

Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:50:45 GMT
 Forth on handheld computer?

Quote:

> Hello,

> I need to write a math program. I prefer to use Forth. The final
> program size will be about 700k or 1 Mb, and it must also access some
> data files of about 1 Mb in size. For the floating-point math
> routines, I will need about 10-decimal-place precision.

> The program must run on a handheld computer. I like the HP 200LX for
> its long battery life, but I believe that it uses a 186 processor, and
> it is very slow.

> My question is --- is there a Forth that can accomplish this? Which
> handheld computer might be good for such a Forth?

> Thank you.

> Sincerely,

> Robert

The short ( but not best ) answer is "Yes".

http://www.quartus.net/products/forth/ has a Forth for the Palm.

A Google search for
"HP 200LX" "Forth language"
led to
http://www.figuk.plus.com/articles/issue110.pdf

he had ported  Pygmy Forth to HP 200LX.

A better answer would be ( I think ) to choose an optimum handheld for
your needs. Then "ask for"/"search for" a Forth for that platform.

Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:26:48 GMT

1. Windows Forth for handheld computer?

2. Clipper and a handheld computer

3. Clipper & PSC Falcon handheld computers

4. Forth for handheld PC?

5. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

6. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

7. Forth wanted for MSDOS handheld

8. Market for the Forth Computers

9. Computer History Museum tour and no sign of Forth

10. Best computer for FORTH?

11. TDS2020 Forth Computers for GPS and CF logging

12. Mind.forth Prog Journal 20 Jan 1999 (Attn: computer architects)