win32forth 3.2 : fsave fails to copy kernel.bin ; makedefer ?
Author Message
 win32forth 3.2 : fsave fails to copy kernel.bin ; makedefer ?

As a newcomer  I've got win32forth Version 3.2 from
ftp.netcom.com/pub/mc/mckewan/  ( Win32Forth/w32f32ba.exe ) .

I had no problems to install it on win32s.

Now I deal with 3 questions which could be of interest for other
beginners, wanting to adapt some features to my personal needs:

1) I tried to FSAVE , but I got always the message "fails to copy
KERNEL.BIN" .
This problem occurs with FSAVE and with the menu " File / Save Forth
System "
There was the same problem on 3 different PC's. Kernel.bin is in the
same directory as the other w32f-files and there is enough ram and
enough place on the drive.

2) Is there some word like F-PC MAKEDEFER or SWITCH helping for a
quick and easy change of some existing words, before understanding
win32forth a little better ?

3) is it possible to get the file api32.hlp ( or something similar )
without having to buy Visual C++ ?

I thank you for any useful hints.

Hansruedi Epprecht

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 win32forth 3.2 : fsave fails to copy kernel.bin ; makedefer ?

Quote:

> As a newcomer  I've got win32forth Version 3.2 from
> ftp.netcom.com/pub/mc/mckewan/  ( Win32Forth/w32f32ba.exe ) .

> I had no problems to install it on win32s.

> Now I deal with 3 questions which could be of interest for other
> beginners, wanting to adapt some features to my personal needs:

> 1) I tried to FSAVE , but I got always the message "fails to copy
> KERNEL.BIN" .
> This problem occurs with FSAVE and with the menu " File / Save Forth
> System "
> There was the same problem on 3 different PC's. Kernel.bin is in the
> same directory as the other w32f-files and there is enough ram and
> enough place on the drive.

Well, that should be working.  It was the last time I tried it under
Win32s on OS/2.  Try extending the Forth system, which will do an
FSAVE at the end of the extend, and then try to fsave after that.

Note that you can't fsave under Win32s to the same executable name that
you are running.  Try saving to another filename like 'F'.

Quote:
> 2) Is there some word like F-PC MAKEDEFER or SWITCH helping for a
> quick and easy change of some existing words, before understanding
> win32forth a little better ?

Not yet.

Quote:
> 3) is it possible to get the file api32.hlp ( or something similar )
> without having to buy Visual C++ ?

You can buy the SAMS Win32 API manual, for about $40.00.

Tom Zimmer

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 win32forth 3.2 : fsave fails to copy kernel.bin ; makedefer ?

Quote:

>> As a newcomer  I've got win32forth Version 3.2 from
>> ftp.netcom.com/pub/mc/mckewan/  ( Win32Forth/w32f32ba.exe ) .

>> I had no problems to install it on win32s.

>> 1) I tried to FSAVE , but I got always the message "fails to copy
>> KERNEL.BIN" .
>> This problem occurs with FSAVE and with the menu " File / Save Forth
>> System "
>Well, that should be working.  It was the last time I tried it under
>Win32s on OS/2.  Try extending the Forth system, which will do an
>FSAVE at the end of the extend, and then try to fsave after that.
>Note that you can't fsave under Win32s to the same executable name that
>you are running.  Try saving to another filename like 'F'.
>Tom Zimmer

Thank you very much for your fast reply. Yes : it works !
Thank you also, Tom Zimmer, for all the nice work you did for forth !

I'm very pleased, we can use now the German Umlaute - characters and
keys, this needed some effort to adapt F-PC and NEWZ .
Hansruedi Epprecht

Mon, 04 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 win32forth 3.2 : fsave fails to copy kernel.bin ; makedefer ?

Quote:

> >> 1) I tried to FSAVE , but I got always the message "fails to copy
> >> KERNEL.BIN" .
> >> This problem occurs with FSAVE and with the menu " File / Save Forth
> >> System "
> >Note that you can't fsave under Win32s to the same executable name that
> >you are running.  Try saving to another filename like 'F'.

> Thank you very much for your fast reply. Yes : it works !
> Thank you also, Tom Zimmer, for all the nice work you did for forth !

You might be interested to know, that because of yours and others problems with
FSAVE, I have added some additional error checking, to warn you when you try to
FSAVE into the same name that is already running.  At least you'll get a better
error message now.

Quote:
> I'm very pleased, we can use now the German Umlaute - characters and
> keys, this needed some effort to adapt F-PC and NEWZ .

I'm glad I could help,

Tom Zimmer

Mon, 04 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. WinView and Win32Forth with fsave, applicaton and turnkey

2. Win32Forth Version 3.2 Released (long)

3. Win32Forth Version 3.2 Released (short version)

4. Lookiing for Copy of Grumpfish Lib 3.2 for Clipper S87

5. Copy of BLINKER 3.2

6. Win32Forth: Kernel Image

7. File failed file checking: C:\C55\BIN\C55GEN.DLL

8. Win32Forth meta compile fails on POSTPONE

9. failed fork with latest 2.4 linux kernel?

10. WANTED: Win32Forth Fan Club Web Page copy

11. Copying a file with Win32Forth

12. A Win32Forth kernel that supports PROC and CALL from the kernel directly.