Interested in Forth for Z80
Author Message
 Interested in Forth for Z80

Quote:
>My interest in getting a dedicated Forth system set up on my
>CP/M system which was a replacement for CP/M rather than a
>co-resident system using CP/M to get at the machine.

I know I shouldn't do this, but I just can't resist.

What you want to do will be well within the capabilities
of almost any Z80 Forth cross compiler from a commercial
supplier, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO PAY FOR IT.

Now I feel a lot better.

Regards, Stephen Pelc
MicroProcessor Engineering
tel: +44 703 631441,  fax: +44 703 339705

Tue, 10 Oct 1995 08:56:24 GMT
 Interested in Forth for Z80

Quote:

> >My interest in getting a dedicated Forth system set up on my
> >CP/M system which was a replacement for CP/M rather than a
> >co-resident system using CP/M to get at the machine.

> I know I shouldn't do this, but I just can't resist.

> What you want to do will be well within the capabilities
> of almost any Z80 Forth cross compiler from a commercial
> supplier, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO PAY FOR IT.

> Now I feel a lot better.

> Regards, Stephen Pelc
> MicroProcessor Engineering
> tel: +44 703 631441,  fax: +44 703 339705

Or else do all the work yourself. Not impossible, just tedious, especially
with a machine that is 10 years out of date. (I own several Z80 computers
that I have not fired up in 8-10 years.) And the end result is unlikely to
be anywhere near as good as you will get from using the commercial product.

How much is your time worth? How important is the project? If it's a hobby,
then do it yourself by all means (some people enjoy grinding their own
telescope lenses and mirrors--few achieve professional results), but
if it's something commercial with a deadline, a professional x-compiler
from Forth, Inc. or MPE or the Petrograd COOP (former CCCP, contact
Sergei Baranov thru Rochester Forth Inst.) will be the smallest part of
the total cost.

--jvn

"Only a fanatic chips his own flint arrowheads. The rest of us get them
at Sears, Roebuck."

Wed, 11 Oct 1995 23:37:34 GMT
 Interested in Forth for Z80

Quote:

>What you want to do will be well within the capabilities
>of almost any Z80 Forth cross compiler from a commercial
>supplier, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO PAY FOR IT.

...which is why I telephoned Forth, Inc. to ask about PolyFORTH.  Sadly,
they no longer make PolyFORTH for the Z80.  All other commercial Z80
Forth systems I have seen advertised have been designed to run under
CP/M.  I suppose purchasing one of them and using its cross-compiler
to generate a version which *doesn't* run under CP/M would be possible,
but then it should be possible to do the same thing with the fairly
extensive meta-compiler I already have (F83's).

...which is why I asked if anyone had already implemented a banked-memory,
non-CP/M system using this meta-compiler.  Sadly, there have been no
replies.  Of course, having a great meta-compiler and using it are two
different things...and a commercial meta-compiler *should* come with a
bit of support so I could ask them these same questions.  It isn't as
if I haven't experimented with implementing a new F83 system, but as I
said, it's a little foggy on that road.  And it isn't as if I am asking
for a handout.  I'd be interested in finding PolyFORTH or *any* imple-
mentation (commercial, shareware, or whatever) which fits the description
of what I'd like in a system.

Maybe MPE offers just what I'm looking for.  I am anxiously awaiting the
catalog from them which I understood to be in the mail...

Maybe someone else offers it.  Or maybe there's a legal way to get Poly-
FORTH running on my machine.  Who knows?

                                                     +-----------+
                                                     | _> ###    |
               Plug in your head...                  |     |     |
                                                     +-----------+

Thu, 12 Oct 1995 06:19:29 GMT
 Interested in Forth for Z80

Quote:

>>What you want to do will be well within the capabilities
>>of almost any Z80 Forth cross compiler from a commercial
>>supplier, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO PAY FOR IT.

>...which is why I telephoned Forth, Inc. to ask about PolyFORTH.  Sadly,
>they no longer make PolyFORTH for the Z80.  All other commercial Z80
>Forth systems I have seen advertised have been designed to run under
>CP/M...

We sold a Z-80 Forth system that ran under CP/M for many years, but
discontinued the product long ago.  The demand vanished, for better
or worse, about 2 years after the appearance of the IBM PC.

However, we still sell a cross-compiler that runs on the IBM PC
and generates either a stand-alone or disk-based Forth for the Z-80.
The kernel for the disk-based Forth is almost exactly the same
as the one that was in our full-fledged Z-80-based development
system, and it comes in the form of source code so you can readily
adapt it for any disk controller and serial I/O controller.
The package also includes source code for Z-80 floating point
and an assembler.

I'd be quite surprised if Forth Inc. doesn't still sell a
cross-compiler with full source code for a Z80 kernel as well.
I think the person you talked to at Forth Inc. probably didn't
fully understand what you were looking for.  The Z80/HD64180
targets are still among the most popular of all the cross-
compilers we sell.

Ray Duncan
LMI

Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:21:35 GMT

1. Interested in Forth for Z80

2. Interested in Forth for Z80

3. I need Z80 and Z80-CTC and Z80-PIO

4. Interested in getting PolyFORTH for my Z80...help?

5. Interested in getting PolyFORTH for my Z80...help?

6. Z80, pushing registers (was Re: Z80 ... thanks)

7. Z80 Forth Performance

8. Looking for Clyde Philips Jr. - FORTH/Z80 programmer

9. FORTH for the Z80

10. Wanted hd64180/z80 Forth

11. Z80 Forth

12. Z80 Forth