Documentaton for the dpANS word THEN
Author Message
 Documentaton for the dpANS word THEN

Standards comment.

I have an old copy of the dpANS from April 18, 1991, given to me
by Mitch Bradley at a FIG meeting as it was already out of date.

I find the definition of ELSE to be a bit confusing.  Now my
intention here, is that of clarity and not to change the meaning.
I would like some one to quote the current text.  In the mean
time if the text it is still the same, I suggest, rather than
propose, the following as a potential improvement.  I am looking
for a better understanding at the same time.  If I have erred
please enlighten me.

<as per 1991 printing>
8.1.1310  ELSE

The next location for a transfer of control resolves _orig1_,  an
unresolved control flow reference.  Append the execution
semantics given below to the current definition.  The semantics
will be incomplete until _orig2_ is resolved (e.g., by THEN)

<a new version>
8.1.1310  ELSE

IF is followed by ELSE in typical use.  ELSE is the first
location after the IF to control or transfer the flow of
execution.  ELSE resolves the control flow stack reference
_orig1_ and leaves _orig2_  This unresolved control flow
reference will eventually be resolved by THEN to properly finish
the sequence.

TYPICAL USE:  IF .... ELSE .... THEN

Of course  IF  and  THEN  are candidates for clarification is the
same way.

John A. Peters

Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:24:55 GMT

1. WIN32FORTH USERS MANUAL AND HELP DOCUMENTATON

2. How to replace one or two words with one word with one line of awk code

3. unsigned word to signed word in RB

4. Word 97 and word 2000 - calling from clarion - HELP

5. Word by word cross reference

6. More MF.Fun WORD-RIGHT and WORD-LEFT

7. Class(y) 2.4b, with documentation for MS-Word 97, MS-Word 6.0 and WordPerfect 7.0

8. My final word on word size

9. Adding a signed word to unsigned word...

10. copy replacing part of words, instead of complete word

11. Excerpting dpANS - Is it OK?