ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session
Author Message
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Just a reminder.

FIG UK's monthly IRC session takes place on Saturday 1st June from
9:00pm (BST).
All welcome - you will find us on channel #FIGUK, using the IRC server
called "IRCNet".

Bye for now                       ____/  /  __  /   /   /   /   /
                                 /      /  /  _/   /   /   /  /
Chris Jakeman                   __/    /  / __    /   /   /_/
                               /      /  /   /   /   /   /  \
[To reply, please           __/    __/  ____/    ___/ __/   _\
 unspam my address]
                           Forth Interest Group United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489   chapter at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:10:00 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

> FIG UK's monthly IRC session takes place on Saturday 1st June from
> 9:00pm (BST).
> All welcome - you will find us on channel #FIGUK, using the IRC server
> called "IRCNet".

I feel kind of silly saying this.  I mean, doesn't *everyone* in the
*entire* world know exactly what servers there are for IRCNet and which
will accept their respective connections?  Didn't every single human
being who ever read the above immediately think "Oh, yeah, I'd better
use irc.blah.net:6668!"?  Could there possibly be anyone -- could there
be a single, lone, out-of-the-loop, socially disadvantaged person who
does not immediately translate <<the IRC server called "IRCNet">> to
a relevant IP address?  haha!  What fun!  Of course not! -- which is why
I feel silly adding this little URL:

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/networks/servers/ircnet.html

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:31:09 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

>>FIG UK's monthly IRC session takes place on Saturday 1st June from
>>9:00pm (BST).
>>All welcome - you will find us on channel #FIGUK, using the IRC server
>>called "IRCNet".

> I feel kind of silly saying this.  I mean, doesn't *everyone* in the
> *entire* world know exactly what servers there are for IRCNet and which
> will accept their respective connections?  Didn't every single human
> being who ever read the above immediately think "Oh, yeah, I'd better
> use irc.blah.net:6668!"?  Could there possibly be anyone -- could there
> be a single, lone, out-of-the-loop, socially disadvantaged person who
> does not immediately translate <<the IRC server called "IRCNet">> to
> a relevant IP address?  haha!  What fun!  Of course not! -- which is why
> I feel silly adding this little URL:

> http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/networks/servers/ircnet.html

irc.stealth.net is on ircnet, there is no SERVER called ircnet, but
there is an irc NETWORK called ircnet....

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:41:06 GMT

Julian writes:
> Could there possibly be anyone -- could there be a single, lone,
> out-of-the-loop, socially disadvantaged person who does not immediately
> translate <<the IRC server called "IRCNet">> to a relevant IP address?

What is IRC?

-marcel

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:18:24 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

> What is IRC?

That's a question that can be answered automatically. Google gives (as best
result for the string "What is IRC?") http://www.mirc.co.uk/irc.html.
Second paragraph is a good summary:

"IRC is the net's equivalent of CB radio. But unlike CB, Internet Relay Chat
lets people all over the world participate in real-time conversations. IRC
is where the Net comes alive!"

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:22:13 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Bernd explains:

Quote:
> "IRC is the net's equivalent of CB radio. But unlike CB, Internet Relay
> Chat lets people all over the world participate in real-time conversations.

I'd have thought CB radio was bad enough already.

-marcel

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:58:30 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

> Julian writes:

>>Could there possibly be anyone -- could there be a single, lone,
>>out-of-the-loop, socially disadvantaged person who does not immediately
>>translate <<the IRC server called "IRCNet">> to a relevant IP address?

> What is IRC?

> -marcel

internet relay chat

if using linux install {*filter*}x and do
{*filter*}x some-nickname-or-alias-here irc.some-server-or-other.net

e.g. {*filter*}x marcel irc.linpeople.org

you could then join various chat channels (/list will list them)

e.g.

/join #forth

a channel always starts with a # symbol

advise you not get sucked in, irc is the great time waster :)
but going to a FIG meeting online every once in a while wont matter too
much :)

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:34:49 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

>>What is IRC?

> That's a question that can be answered automatically. Google gives (as best
> result for the string "What is IRC?") http://www.mirc.co.uk/irc.html.
> Second paragraph is a good summary:

> "IRC is the net's equivalent of CB radio. But unlike CB, Internet Relay Chat
> lets people all over the world participate in real-time conversations. IRC
> is where the Net comes alive!"

and where work dies :)

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:53:14 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

> Just a reminder.

Could you post the reminders about a week ahead. I missed the post.

Thanks,
geakazoid

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:02:18 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

> Bernd explains:

> > "IRC is the net's equivalent of CB radio. But unlike CB, Internet Relay
> > Chat lets people all over the world participate in real-time
conversations.

> I'd have thought CB radio was bad enough already.

    It is!

--

-GJC

-War is the last resort of the incompetent.

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:05:06 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

>> Just a reminder.

>Could you post the reminders about a week ahead. I missed the post.

Glad they're appreciated. They're not posted automatically and the
beginning of the month came as a bit of a surprise this time.

I've changed my alert system to give me and you a bit more notice. I
think a full week's notice is a bit too long though - gives lots of
opportunity to forget.

If you want to add them to your own calendar - it's always the first
Saturday of the month.

Bye for now                       ____/  /  __  /   /   /   /   /
                                 /      /  /  _/   /   /   /  /
Chris Jakeman                   __/    /  / __    /   /   /_/
                               /      /  /   /   /   /   /  \
[To reply, please           __/    __/  ____/    ___/ __/   _\
 unspam my address]
                           Forth Interest Group United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489   chapter at http://www.fig-uk.org

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:08:41 GMT
 ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

Quote:

>> Just a reminder.

>Could you post the reminders about a week ahead. I missed the post.

Next Thursday/Friday I shall be sending out the usual reminder for
Saturday 7th September.

I look forward to chatting with anyone who isn't attending EuroForth
2002 :)

Bye for now                       ____/  /  __  /   /   /   /   /
                                 /      /  /  _/   /   /   /  /
Chris Jakeman                   __/    /  / __    /   /   /_/
                               /      /  /   /   /   /   /  \
[To reply, please           __/    __/  ____/    ___/ __/   _\
 unspam my address]
                           Forth Interest Group United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489   chapter at http://www.fig-uk.org

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:30:50 GMT

1. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

2. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

3. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

4. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

5. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

6. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

7. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

8. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

9. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

10. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

11. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session

12. ANN: FIG UK hosts monthly IRC session