WinCE Forth?
Author Message
 WinCE Forth?

Just had a thought, reading Newton users worrying about the new
handheld PCs coming out, running MS' new WinCE OS. Wouldn't a native
forth environment on one of these be pretty useful? Like taking
the Win32 forth and slimming it down to run on WinCE... that might
be quite popular on those smallish-memory machines.

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 WinCE Forth?

Quote:
>Just had a thought, reading Newton users worrying about the new
>handheld PCs coming out, running MS' new WinCE OS. Wouldn't a native
>forth environment on one of these be pretty useful? Like taking
>the Win32 forth and slimming it down to run on WinCE... that might
>be quite popular on those smallish-memory machines.

Hmmm... I've been thinking along the same lines... For the Newtons, that is. ;-)

Ashwin.

[no signature is a signature]

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 WinCE Forth?

Quote:

> Just had a thought, reading Newton users worrying about the new
> handheld PCs coming out, running MS' new WinCE OS. Wouldn't a native
> forth environment on one of these be pretty useful? Like taking
> the Win32 forth and slimming it down to run on WinCE... that might
> be quite popular on those smallish-memory machines.

 I believe that the Newton may use the Acorn ARM processor.

 Micro$oft is supposed to be working to port WinCE onto the ARM.

 There are at least 3x Forths available for the ARM, Forthmacs,
 Armforth and RiscForth.

 The last is a commercial product that I use heavily, the core
 only occupies 26kB. I would like to move to Forthmacs though.

 For your info, the ARM processor is a 32-bit data, 26-bit addr
 Risc processor that goes like a fire engine and runs Forth very
 well. ARM assembly language is very easy to pick up because of
 the simplicity and consistency of the opcodes.

 Think of the ARM as a 6502 for grownups.
--
[Tony Williams, Ledbury, Herefordshire, UK.---Pagewidth=64-----]

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. FORTH on WinCE systems?

2. FORTH for WinCE?

3. Any plans to support PocketPC/WinCE?

4. Smalltalk for WinCE

5. Where is Squeak for WinCE/HP320?

6. ST for WinCE?

7. Clipper applications running on WinCE

8. Who needs SQL Anywhere Studio with WinCE support?

9. ruby on mips wince

10. Re : PocketRuby for HP Jornada 820 (WinCe v 2.11, StrongArm processor)

11. Ruby WinCE (Mips) Status?

12. Power-Off of Intel based x86 system under WinCE